Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
I made this recipe a few weeks ago, and goodness there’s just nothing better on a busy night than to have Mrs. Potts cooking dinner while I’m running kids around town! It was so simple to throw together, and tasted just delicious. Everyone gobbled down dinner and I loved having dinner done. Success!
I used a pork shoulder roast (I’ve found that shoulder roasts always seem to cook best for me in a crockpot – I’ve tried just about every other type of roast but consistently come back to those!) Any time I see a beef or pork shoulder roast on sale I grab a few and put them in my freezer, which comes in handy when I need an easy meal. (You can also try out this recipe for Italian Beef using a shoulder roast – by far our favorite slow-cookin’-recipe ever!) Here’s the recipe so you can get started ~
- 4 lb boneless shoulder pork roast
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves (I didn't have these so left them out!)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- flour tortillas
- taco fixings - lettuce, tomato, cheese sour cream
- Mix spices in small bowl.
- Coat pork with the spice mixture, then place bay leaves in bottom of slow cooker and the pork on top.
- Pour the chicken broth around the sides of the pork, so that the spices don't rinse off.
- Cover and cook on low 10 hours. (If possible, turn meat over while cooking - I missed that step but it still turned out perfectly.)
- Once cooked, shred pork with forks in juice, and serve on top of flour tortillas
- Add additional toppings and enjoy!
These are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 9/17/14):
- Beef Shoulder Roasts are on sale at Kroger in the Southeast as well as Giant Eagle – I think the beef shoulder roast would work fine with this recipe!
- Mission Tortillas on sale $1 at Kroger and Meijer
- La Bandertia or Ole Tacos are $1.30 at Publix in the Grocery Advantage Buy Flier
- Kroger Cheese $1.99
- Progresso Broth $2 at Publix, use $.50/1 coupon from the 9/7 Smart Source insert