Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
I had pretty low expectations of this recipe, but goodness, we liked it so much! The best part was that it was easy to adapt for my picker eaters – I broiled their pork chops in just olive oil and a little pepper until they were cooked through, set them aside, and then added in the rest of the ingredients to make the way yummier (fiber packed!) pork chops for my hubby and me.
This was so good, and with a little rice and veggies on the side dinner was done. And, since all the ingredients are on sale this week at Publix or Kroger, you should be able to feed your family for under $8 easily! Definitely fun to have a new simple dinner to add to our menu rotation, and even a little more exciting when you can do it for just a few dollars. Here’s how to make them so you can get dinner on the table tonight too . .
- 4 pork chops (I used boneless, you could use bone in but would need to cook a little longer)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup salsa
- 15 oz can black beans, with liquid
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (optional - I didn't have any so I skipped this one)
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat and season pork chops with pepper.
- Cook pork chops in oil until brown, 3-5 minutes per side.
- Add in beans and salsa (and a little cilantro if you have it on hand), and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer covered for 15 minutes for boneless pork chops or 20 to 30 minutes for bone-in pork chops (or until cooked through.)
- Serve over rice ~ enjoy!
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 9/24/14):
- Kroger Pork Chops $2.49 – $3.99/lb (will vary by area)
- Publix Pork Chops $2.99/lb
- Aldi Salsa $1.99
- Tostitos or Pace Salsa at Publix $2.50 or Newman’s Own $2 (ends 9/27/14)
- Private Selection Salsa $1.49 at Kroger when you purchase 4 participating items
- Knorr Rice Sides $1 at Kroger
- McCormick Rice $1 at Publix (ends Friday 9/27/14)