Oh my . . . this recipe had me so scared off, but it just sounded like a bite of summertime so I had to try it! I've made meringue before, but never like this . . . now I don't think I'll ever go back!
I know that making meringue from scratch scares some folks off, but my husband's favorite pie ever is a simple chocolate meringue pie. Several years ago I was determined to learn to make one, and it really isn't all that hard . . . you just need a really sturdy mixer. I have a Kitchenaid (quite possibly my favorite kitchen appliance ever), which might just be the ticket to success. 🙂 But, I'm betting this recipe would work even with a regular hand mixer. (I was amazed at how fast that meringue whipped up!)
Note: Since Breyer’s Ice Cream is BOGO at Publix this week, you could easily substitute your favorite two flavors of Breyer’s, and then top with the meringue. (And if you’d really enjoy a little indulgence, pick out a few Breyer’s Blasts, then drizzle a little Hershey’s Syrup in between the layers. I guess I just completely defeated the purpose of sharing a Weight Watchers recipe, huh?)
Creamsicle Meringue Pie adapted from Weight Watchers Magazine, August 2011
- 1 pint vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt
- 1 pint orange sorbet my kids call it SHERBERT 🙂
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1 packaged graham cracker crust
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Spread vanilla yogurt in graham cracker crust. You may need to let it soften a bit before spreading.
- Layer sorbet on top of frozen yogurt, pressing down with hands to flatten.
- Cover with plastic warp and freeze for 4-6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites and sugar together with electric mixer for about two minutes.
- Simmer 1” of water in saucepan on stove. Place the bowl that you’ve mixed the egg white and sugar in on top of the pot of simmering water.
- Heat egg mixture, stirring constantly, for four minutes.
- Remove bowl from stove top, then beat with electric mixture on high speed for five minutes.
- Mixture will fluff up and stiff peaks will form. (I promise it will fluff!)
- Top ice cream with meringue, sealing the pie around its edges.
- Bake at 450 for 4-5 minutes, until meringue is lightly browned on top.
- Serve immediately, freeze leftovers after serving.
Serves 10, with five Weight Watchers points per serving.
Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, visit theRecipe Index. This post is linked to Balancing Beauty & Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday.
Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook to keep up with all the meals & deals.
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.