This Pizza Pasta Casserole is the best. Seriously, fantastic and so worth adding to your menu plan sometime soon ~ we loved it! I was trying to work with all the great deals I’d gotten at Kroger as well as the BOGO Pepperoni and Spaghetti Sauce I’d picked up at Publix earlier in the week, so when this meal came together I was thrilled. It’s simple, penny pinched, and I have no doubt your family will love it.
I also went ahead and split mine into two smaller casseroles, because my family doesn’t just love leftovers, and this way I’ll have one in the freezer ready to go on a busy night. I’m a little curious as to how well it will freeze (not so sure about the cream cheese mixture. . . ) but figure it’s worth a try.
Here’s how to get started . . .
- 1 box pasta (we used ziti)
- 1 26 oz can pasta sauce
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper (optional, but we had some in our garden!)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- sliced peppperoni
- sliced black olives (small jar)
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, warm spaghetti sauce on stove top and add in pepperoni and black olives. Keep warm.
- Put onions, green pepper and butter in microwave dish and microwave for 4 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and milk to onion mixture, stir completely.
- Place a little bit of spaghetti sauce on bottom of 11x14 casserole, or spit it between two smaller casserole dishes.
- Layer the cooked pasta on top of the sauce, then add cream cheese mixture.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.
- Optional ~ add French's Onions around the edges of the casserole and bake an additional five minutes ~ we love these on top!
We were able to use a few peppers and onions from our garden ~ I’m loving having fresh produce in my backyard!
Here are a few sales you’ll want to watch for this week:
- Kroger Pasta $.88 or Ronzoni Pasta BOGO $1.48 at Publix
- Hormel Pepperoni $1.00 at Dollar Tree, use $1/2 Hormel Pepperoni
- Gia Russa Pasta Sauce BOGO $5.80 at Publix or Hunt’s Pastas Sauce $1
- Vidalia Onions $.99/lb. at Publix and Kroger, use $.50/1 Onions coupon