If your family loves Taco Tuesday, here is a quick and easy way to make Taco Meat in the Slow Cooker. This is perfect to start a Taco Bar!
The Easiest Crockpot Taco Meat – Made Right in Your Slow Cooker
This recipe just might change the way you look at ground beef, my friends. And, really, give you a whole new reason to love your slow cooker.
For years I've been convinced that there was no way on earth how to cook ground beef in the crockpot (unless I pre-cooked it ahead of time for something like chili), however, I've thankfully been proved wrong.
With the way our schedules have looked lately, I've had a hard time getting much besides cereal on the table if Mrs. Potts doesn't do the cooking, so I was determined to give it a shot.
Guess what? It worked.
We used the new Old El Paso Stand & Stuff Tacos that I found a few weeks ago on sale ~ my family loved them!
The night I made this, everyone walked in for dinner around 6:15. I simply rolled out the fixins' for our home-cooked taco bar, and everyone (this momma especially) was pretty well pleased.
I also made a little “secret sauce” for my husband and I to add to ours ~ just equal parts low fat ranch dressing and barbecue sauce. To really fluff things up I even put out some stockpiled French's Fried Onions for my husband to add to his, and he declared it one of the best meals we've had in awhile. Whew. ‘Cause y'all know I worry that he likes his dinner. 😉
And to make things even better (does it get much better than a happy family at dinner time?), everything I used were items I'd gotten on sale for some crazy good deals.
I'm pretty sure I spent less than $4 to feed our family of five ~ happy happy happy. This taco meat system would also work really well for Walking Tacos!
Here's how to make Taco Meat in the Slow Cooker:
Start by placing your ground beef, salt, water, garlic powder and onion into the crockpot. Then, cook on high for about 2 hours – stirring occasionally.
Once the meat is mostly cooked, stir again, then turn the slow cooker down to low. Cook for another 1 – 2 hours.
Add in your taco seasoning pack (or try this homemade taco seasoning), give it a good stir, and cook for another 20 minutes.
To finish off your taco meat, drain any liquids and then serve!
Taco Meat In The Slow Cooker
- Taco Seasoning packet or make it from scratch if you'd prefer ~ I was just in a hurry
- 2 lbs. ground beef get more if you'd like to make extra to freeze
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Place ground beef, water, onion, salt, and garlic powder in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally (I stirred it twice throughout the day)
- When meat is almost cooked through, stir again and turn your slow cooker down to low.
- Cook an additional 1-2 hours.
- Add in taco seasoning packet and give it a stir, then cook 20 more minutes.
- Drain completely (will be a little liquidy from the water and some of the fat in the beef).
- Serve over tacos, and freeze any leftovers so that you don't have to start from scratch the next time around!
If you don't have any taco seasoning packs, try this homemade taco seasoning!
Note: I don't think this is the kind of slow cooker meal that I'd start and then leave on all day if you're not going to be home – I think you need to be there to give it a quick stir every so often.
If you're looking for a delicious beef recipe with just about no work involved, check out this delicious italian beef recipe.
Click HERE to see video if it's not working for you.