Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
And it's easy.
You're welcome. 😉
I've made it for years about once a month, and every time I pull down my bread machine out of the pantry my family gets a wee bit excited. Last week as I was driving my 15 year old home from band practice before dinner I said “Guess what I made?”
“Some chocolate chip cookies?”
Seriously kid? Nope – not that either. Homemade bread! I really am the best mom, right?
“Mmmmm . . . yup, you really are the best mom.” 😉
Folks, this kid is a sophomore so I only have a few more years to convince him my cooking is worth coming home for once he scoots off to college. If chocolate chip cookies, homemade bread and chicken and dumplings do it, you can bet we'll be eating a lot of those for the next few years . . .
I can't make it more often than once a month because I have very little self control when it comes to a loaf of warm homemade bread in the kitchen, but when I do it's just a happy treat for the whole family. It's so simple to make and takes about 5 minutes of effort ~ so worth it if your family loves homemade bread too!
Bread Machine Dough
- 1 cup warm water (110 – 115 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons honey (if you don't have any you can skip it and it turns out fine)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all purpose flour (can also substitute with half whole wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast or active dry yeast
Bread Machine Directions
- Put ingredients in the order above into bread machine (you don’t need to stir it , just dump it in!)
- Set bread machine on dough setting, and let it make the dough for you.
- Once dough is made (it takes my machine about 1 1/2 hours to make), remove dough and place in loaf pan.
- Let rise for about 30 minutes to an hour if you have time – sometimes when I don't I just go ahead and bake it and it works out fine.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, and enjoy!
Note – if you’re away from home during the day you can let the bread machine do all the work for you, I just don’t like the weird shape that my bread comes out in when I use the machine so choose to make it on the dough setting and then bake it in a loaf pan.)
If you don’t have a bread machine . . .
First, say a prayer that you’ll find one at a yard sale (I really do love mine ~ here's a deal on Amazon that may help and is a great price while it lasts!)
Then, go over HERE to see Tammy’s step by step instructions on how to make the dough at home – it really isn’t that hard, and she does a fabulous job giving step-by-step instructions!
If your family loves bread like mine does, try out some Best Ever Cinnamon Bread too.
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
CHRISTMAS MADE EASY!
Download your FREE Ultimate Christmas Checklist now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.