Enter to win one of 3 $10 Amazon Gift Cards!
This is my mother-in-law's favorite “Chili Con Carne” recipe (her fancy way to say chili with meat), and is such a simple meal to make when you just want to throw everything in the pot and work on something besides cooking. After the crazy weather we've had across the country (I'm praying for you all up in the Northeast!), this is just one of those simple recipes that warms up our kitchen, and I'm betting you'll love it too.
It cooks perfectly in the slow cooker or on the stovetop, but I usually use my crockpot because that's my favorite way to make just about anything. 🙂 To use your slow cooker, just brown your ground beef and add all the ingredients to your slow cooker for the day. Cook on low for 8 hours, and Mrs. Potts will be all ready to go when you get home. (I love that . . . )
Chili Con Carne for the Slow Cooker or Stovetop
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 4 cups canned tomatoes
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- dash paprika
- dash cayenne pepper
- 2 16 oz. can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 package Chili Seasoning Mix
- Cook ground beef in skillet, drain fat.
- Add all ingredients to pot on stove, simmer 1 1/2 hours, without boiling so that it doesn't scorch.
- (NOTE: If you'd rather cook in crockpot, brown beef in the morning and let cook on low 8 hours ~ it works just as well as cooking on the stovetop!)
Here are the sale items you'll want to watch for this week:
- Del Monte Tomato Sauce BOGO $.70 at Publix
- Del Monte Tomatoes Mega Sale $.79 at Kroger, use $0.50/2 Del Monte Tomatoes @Walmart printable
- Kroger Ground Chuck $2.69/lb sold in 5lb roll for $13.45, or Laura's Lean Ground Beef on sale $4.49/lb. at Publix
- Or use Publix Fresh Ground Turkey, 3.49/lb
- Chili Seasoning ~ any store brand pouch will work
- Serve with French Bread from the Publix bakery, 12 oz loaf, $1.99
BLACK FRIDAY CHEAT SHEET!
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.