I'm sure you've heard a time or two that breakfast for dinner is a fantastic way to make those pennies stretch a little further when trying to cut down your grocery budget. The problem is, sometimes even plain old breakfast for dinner can take too long on a busy weeknight (at least at our house!), so by making this french toast in the morning for dinner, you'll have a frugal dinner prepared first thing in the morning!
You can also prepare this ahead of time for the next morning's breakfast, which is such a great way to save time on a busy morning. We served it for dinner though with eggs and fresh fruit, and it was a hit at our house. (And talk about a penny-pinched meal . . . I'm thinking we all ate for less than $5, woohoot!)
Baked French Toast adapted from Rach's Blog
- 1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 loaf Texas Toast
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- warm syrup
- Melt butter in microwave, then add brown sugar. Stir until mixed.
- Spread butter-sugar misture completely over the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- Beat eggs, milk & vanilla. Set aside.
- Layer bread over sugar mixture.
- Pour half the egg mixture over the bread.
- Add second layer of Texas Toast (I trimmed the crust off this layer to make it look prettier!)
- Spoon remaining egg mixture on top of the second layer of Texas Toast.
- Mix together white sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over the top of the dish. (I guessed the amount that I used . . . just sprinkle until you feel that you have enough cinnamon sugar covering the toast!)
- Cover & chill in refrigerater over night, or cover at least six hours if you're making it in the morning for dinner.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until bread is cooked through (will be moist though).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Serve with maple syrup . . . yummm!
Interact with 7390+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.