Crockpot Potato Soup is such a frugal budget meal!
If you'd rather make Potato Soup on the stovetop, here's our family's favorite stovetop potato soup recipe. It's a fantastic recipe, but requires a little more work than letting Mrs. Potts handle the cooking for you! 🙂
Menu Planning Note: You can also find this recipe in our Slow Cooker Menu Planning Made Easy Set!
We made this Slow Cooker Potato Soup on Christmas Eve, and goodness gracious, it was perfect! I've made it once before but had forgotten just how yummy it was, however my husband decided after tasting it that this is the only Potato Soup recipe I need to make from here on out.
I did use half and half this time (before I'd only tried it with skim milk, which worked well too but it never thickened quite as much.) It was so simple, and would be a great penny-pinched meal to enjoy on a cold winter night this week!
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 5 cups peeled russet potatoes about five potatoes
- 1 medium stalk celery
- 1 carton 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half or milk we used skim milk and it was fine, but it might be a little creamier if you use half and half
- 8 oz. shredded Cheddar Cheese
- In skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, until browned & crispy. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels, then refrigerate until dinner time.
- In bacon drippings, cook onion over medium heat 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix onion, potatoes, celery, broth, salt & pepper. Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-7 hours.
- In small bowl, beat flour and half and half (or milk) with wire whisk until well blended; stir into soup.
- Increase heat on slow cooker until high. Cover; cook about 30 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted & smooth. (If you want fewer lumps in your soup, you’ll want to mash the potatoes a bit with a potato masher.)
- Crumble bacon, serve on top of soup.
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from week two of our slow cooker menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!) Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
CELEBRATION MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample menus today!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.