This simple recipe for slow cooker chicken & dumplings will knock your family's socks off – without you slaving away in the kitchen!
Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
Of all the recipes I've posted here on Passionate Penny Pincher, these Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings are consistently the ones people mention to me. In fact, I notice folks searching for them almost daily on PPP.
They're just so easy and so stinkin' good . . . in fact they're one of my favorite slow cooked recipes (right next to this Italian Beef . . . mmmmmm.) Your family will think you’ve spent all day in the kitchen, and they taste just about as good as Cracker Barrel’s, which is a pretty big treat around our house! (Don't you just love Cracker Barrel's Dumplings?)
If you have time to make real dumplings from scratch these homemade ones are absolutely the best, but if you’re in a hurry on a busy weeknight, pull out your crockpot and let it do the cooking for you.
(You can also try out this Chicken & Dumpling Casserole . . . can you tell we like some Chicken & Dumplings around here?) 😉
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- 1-2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 10 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 can water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cans inexpensive biscuits cut in quarters
- Place chicken breast, soup, broth, water, salt, garlic powder, pepper & onion in crockpot.
- Cook on low six hours.
- Two hours before dinner time, add quartered biscuits to crockpot. Gently stir in biscuits so that they’re covered. (I used 1 and 1/2 of the two small cans of biscuits – enough to fill up the top of my crockpot. . .you can use any leftover biscuits to bake and enjoy with your meal!)
- Cook two more hours on low.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you’ve tried out a great slow cooker recipe I’d love the recipe. . . there are so many good ones, and since I’m planning to keep Mrs. Potts busy this month, I’d love to try out a few of your suggestions! Leave a comment to share your tips. And if you're looking for more slow cooker recipes, here are several more in the series:
- Day 1: Slow Cooker Meat Loaf
- Day 2: Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Day 3: Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Day 4: Slow Cooker Ham
- Day 5: Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodle Soup
- Day 6: Slow Cooker Mug Brownies
- Day 7 : Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Day 8 Slow Cooker Ham & Cheese Melts
Need a slow cooker to get started? Here are a few decent deals on Amazon:
- Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6-Quart Slow Cooker for just $29 (regularly $39.99)
- Hamilton Beach 33967 Set ‘n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker $49, regularly $59.99
- Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel $79.99 (regularly $119.99)
- Cuisinart PSC-350 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cookerto $46 (regularly $110)
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.