This simple recipe for slow cooker chicken & dumplings will knock your family's socks off – without you slaving away in the kitchen!
Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
Of all the recipes I've posted here on Passionate Penny Pincher, these Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings are consistently the ones people mention to me. In fact, I notice folks searching for them almost daily on PPP.
🍴 Menu Planning Note: You can also find this recipe in the Slow Cooker Menu Plan: Week 10!
They're just so easy and so stinkin' good . . . in fact they're one of my favorite slow cooked recipes (right next to these Open Faced roast beef sandwiches . . . mmmmmm.) Your family will think you’ve spent all day in the kitchen, and they taste just about as good as Cracker Barrel’s, which is a pretty big treat around our house! (Don't you just love Cracker Barrel's Dumplings?)
If you don't have time to make real dumplings from scratch, this is a great alternative. Just pull out your crockpot and let it do the cooking for you.
(You can also try out this Chicken & Dumpling Casserole . . . can you tell we like some Chicken & Dumplings around here?) 😉
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- 1-2 pounds chicken breast
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup (or make a homemade cream soup!)
- 1 10 oz. can chicken broth
- 1 can water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 onion
- 2 cans inexpensive biscuits cut in quarters
- Place chicken breast, soup, broth, water, salt, garlic powder, pepper & onion in crockpot.
- Cook on low six hours.
- Two hours before dinner time, add quartered biscuits to crockpot. Gently stir in biscuits so that they’re covered. (I used 1 and 1/2 of the two small cans of biscuits – enough to fill up the top of my crockpot. . .you can use any leftover biscuits to bake and enjoy with your meal!)
- Cook two more hours on low.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you’ve tried out a great slow cooker recipe I’d love the recipe. . . there are so many good ones, and since I’m planning to keep Mrs. Potts busy this month, I’d love to try out a few of your suggestions! Leave a comment to share your tips. And if you're looking for more slow cooker recipes, here are several more in the series:
- Day 1: Slow Cooker Meat Loaf
- Day 2: Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Day 3: Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Day 4: Slow Cooker Ham
- Day 5: Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodle Soup
- Day 6: Slow Cooker Mug Brownies
- Day 7 : Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Day 8 Slow Cooker Ham & Cheese Melts
Need a slow cooker to get started? Here are a few decent deals on Amazon:
- Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6-Quart Slow Cooker for just $29 (regularly $39.99)
- Hamilton Beach 33967 Set ‘n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker $49, regularly $59.99
- Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel $79.99 (regularly $119.99)
- Cuisinart PSC-350 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cookerto $46 (regularly $110)
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.