Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
Ever have one of those nights when everything going so right just goes wrong?
That was my night last night.
Even though our power went out throughout the day, we lost our cable and internet service (again – ugh), I was determined to make the very best of things.
Two of my three kids were playing outside, and I had this happy helper hanging out with me. 😉
We finished putting together a double batch of dinner.
And then . . . (sigh) . . . this happened. (For those of you not on Facebook, just trust that I had a big mess of pasta all over my floor ~ gross!)
Thankfully that extra batch of dinner saved the day, my favorite dish (miraculously) wasn't harmed, and dinner came off just a few minutes than later than planned.
The dish was so good, and it matches up well with a few sales at Publix, Kroger and Giant Eagle this week. And, if I hadn't had to clean up an entire pan of pasta I would have easily gotten dinner done in less than 30 minutes! Here's the recipe so you can try it out (hopefully without the cleanup?) too.
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb bulk Italian Sausage
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella
- Place oven rack 6 inches from the top of the oven and preheat broiler in oven to low.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoons of olive oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook sausage until crumbly and cooked through, then remove sausage from skillet, reserving the fat in the pan.
- Pour additional 2 tablespoons olive oil into pan.
- Saute mushrooms and garlic until mushrooms are cooked through, about five minutes.
- Add sausage back to skillet and pour in heavy cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and heat to a simmer, cooking until the sauce starts to thicken a bit (about five minutes.)
- Pour into 9x13 baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese
- Broil in oven for 4-5 minutes, until mozzarella is bubbly. Enjoy!
- Makes 10-12 servings.
- (Note: you can also bake in two 8x8 baking dishes, if you want to freeze one for later. If so, don't bake the one to place in the freezer - just cover well with foil and freeze, then let it thaw out and bake prior to serving after you've frozen it.)
Note – you can easily substitute the sausage for chicken if you'd prefer!
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 6/18/14):
- Ronzoni Pasta on sale BOGO $1.49 at Publix, use $.75/1 Ronzoni 150 coupon if included in sale
- Market Pantry Pasta on sale $1, use $1/3 Market Pantry Pasta
- Barilla Pasta on sale $1 at Giant Eagle, use $.55/1 or $1/2 coupon from the 4/27 or 5/18 Smart Source insert (starts 6/19/14)
- Johnsonville Italian Sausage on sale $3.99 at Kroger and Giant Eagle (starting 4/19/14), use $1/1 Johnsonville Sausage
- Baby Portabella Mushrooms on sale $1.89 at Publix
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.