These Homemade Italian Breadcrumbs are the perfect way to avoid waste and use up all those scrap pieces of bread and leftover buns. 🙂 So easy too!
Homemade Italian Breadcrumbs
While homemade breadcrumbs aren't necessarily a less expensive option, the fact that you can control your ingredients might be worth it to you. Also, there's nothing worse than getting ready to cook dinner and you're out of breadcrumbs for your recipe. Problem solved!
Try experimenting with different breads for a more dense or lighter breadcrumb. I'm excited to take all my bread and bun odds and ends that have been in my freezer and make up a bigger batch! 🙂
Ingredients per 1 cup
- any type bread (about 4 pieces equals 1 cup breadcrumbs)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Tear bread into 1-2-inch chunks and place in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake about 15 minutes (turning every 5 minutes) or until bread is completely dried out; cool.
2. Place completely cooled breadcrumbs in a food processor or blender and pulse until desired consistency. Pour into storage container and stir in Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
3. Use immediately or store in a zip-top bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
You'll want to store these in the freezer because homemade breadcrumbs are a bit different than store bought as they will still retain some moisture and could mold. 🙂
For plain breadcrumbs omit the Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
I can't wait to use these in Shannon's Homemade Beef Meatball recipe!
Looking for more recipes like this?
- Homemade Beef Meatballs
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- Homemade Yellow Cake Mix (Pantry Staple!)
- Homemade Barbecue Sauce
- Dry Rub Recipe
- Homemade Brownie Mix
- Italian Dressing Mix
- Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Homemade Cream Soup Substitute
- Ranch Dressing Mix
- Homemade Bisquick Mix
SCHOOL SUPPLY PRICE CHEAT SHEET!
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.