FREE 5 Ingredients or Less
Menus Sneak Peek!
Looking for a substitute for cream of chicken soup? Give this homemade cream soup a try! This will replace any “cream of” soups in recipes.
Homemade Cream Soup
Homemade Cream Soup is so easy to make! How many times have you been making a casserole or a slow cooker recipe that called for a can of cream of this, or cream of that, and you realize suddenly that you never restocked? It's so frustrating! I was so thrilled when I realized I could make my own cream soup at home with minimal effort and ingredients that I always have on hand anyway. Happy day!
Although this recipe is flavored with chicken broth – you can substitute it for any cream soup in your recipes. (And honestly, I think it makes the casseroles creamier than the canned stuff.)
Bonus points? This homemade version is a cheaper, healthier option too! This recipe makes 2 cans of soup. (I usually double it) You can store it in the fridge for up to 7 days – or freeze it for the next time!
Check out Shannon's FB live making Homemade Cream Soup!
Here's what you need to make this cream of chicken soup substitute:
- chicken broth
- all purpose flour
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- garlic salt or reg salt
How to Make a Homemade Cream Soup Substitute:
Combine chicken broth and 1/2 cup of milk in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium low.
Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk flour and seasonings together. Pour in the remaining 1 cup of milk. Whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
Pour milk/flour/seasoning mixture into saucepan with broth mixture. Whisk and stir constantly as mixture simmers. Continue to let simmer until mixture is smooth and thick – about 10 minutes.
Freeze or refrigerate (up to a week), or use immediately. Enjoy!
One of our PPP readers Deliska said she made this gluten free and it was delicious! She did give the note ~ just added a little more milk and chicken broth because those mixture tend to be more stiff or thick using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1.
Homemade Cream Soup
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt or reg salt
- 1 tsp parsley
- Combine chicken broth and 1/2 cup of milk in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium low.Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk flour and seasonings together.
- Pour in the remaining 1 cup of milk. Whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour milk/flour/seasoning mixture into saucepan with broth mixture. Whisk and stir constantly as mixture simmers.
- Continue to let simmer until mixture is smooth and thick - about 10 minutes.
- Freeze or refrigerate (up to a week) or use immediately
You can use this substitute for cream of chicken soup in any of these recipes. Let us know if you give it a try and how you liked it!
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
- Tex Mex Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo
- Slow Cooked Chicken Tortilla Soup
5 INGREDIENTS MENU PLAN SAMPLE
Download your FREE recipes now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.