FREE HOME PLANNING
Looking for a substitute for cream of chicken soup? Give this homemade cream soup a try! This will replace any “cream of” soups in recipes.
Need a Substitute for Cream of Chicken Soup? Try this Homemade Cream Soup!
Homemade Cream Soup is so easy to make! How many times have you been making a casserole or a slow cooker recipe that called for a can of cream of this, or cream of that, and you realize suddenly that you never restocked? It's so frustrating! I was so thrilled when I realized I could make this substitute for cream of chicken soup at home with minimal effort and ingredients that I always have on hand anyway. Happy day!
Although this recipe is flavored with chicken broth – you can substitute it for any cream soup in your recipes. (And honestly, I think it makes the casseroles creamier than the canned stuff.)
Bonus points? This homemade version is a cheaper, healthier option too! This recipe makes 2 cans of soup. (I usually double it.) You can store it in the fridge for up to 7 days – or freeze it for the next time!
Here's what you need to make this cream of chicken soup substitute:
- chicken broth
- all purpose flour
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- garlic salt or reg salt
How to Make a Homemade Cream Soup Substitute:
Combine chicken broth and 1/2 cup of milk in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium low.
Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk flour and seasonings together. Pour in the remaining 1 cup of milk. Whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
Pour milk/flour/seasoning mixture into saucepan with broth mixture. Whisk and stir constantly as mixture simmers. Continue to let simmer until mixture is smooth and thick – about 10 minutes.
Freeze or refrigerate (up to a week), or use immediately. Enjoy!'
Homemade Cream Soup
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt or reg salt
- 1 tsp parsley
- Combine chicken broth and 1/2 cup of milk in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium low.Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk flour and seasonings together.
- Pour in the remaining 1 cup of milk. Whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour milk/flour/seasoning mixture into saucepan with broth mixture. Whisk and stir constantly as mixture simmers.
- Continue to let simmer until mixture is smooth and thick - about 10 minutes.
- Freeze or refrigerate (up to a week) or use immediately
Can you make this homemade cream soup gluten free?
YES! One of our PPP readers Deliska said she made this gluten free by using Bob's Red Mill in the ratio of 1:1. She said it did turn out delicious!
One tip for if you're making this gluten free – be sure to add a little more milk and chicken broth because the mixture tends to be more stiff or thick using Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1.
Check out Shannon's FB live making Homemade Cream Soup!
You can use this cream of chicken soup substitute recipe in any of these meals below. Let us know if you give it a try and how you liked it!
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
- Tex Mex Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo
- Slow Cooked Chicken Tortilla Soup
FREE HOME PLANNING CHECKLISTS!
Download your FREE checklists now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.