If you love the creaminess of canned cream soups – but not the additives – this homemade cream of chicken soup is going to be a game changer!
Homemade Cream Soup
Homemade Cream Soup is so easy to make! How many times have you been making a casserole or a slow cooker recipe that called for a can of cream of this, or cream of that, and you realize suddenly that you never restocked? It's so frustrating! I was so thrilled when I realized I could make my own cream soup at home with minimal effort and ingredients that I always have on hand anyway. Happy day!
Although this recipe is flavored with chicken broth – you can substitute it for any cream soup in your recipes. (And honestly, I think it makes the casseroles creamier than the canned stuff.)
Bonus points? This homemade version is a cheaper, healthier option too! This recipe makes 2 cans of soup. (I usually double it) You can store it in the fridge for up to 7 days – or freeze it for the next time!
What You Need for Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup :
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic salt or reg salt
- 1 tsp parsley
How to Make Cream Soup Substitute:
- Combine chicken broth and 1/2 cup of milk in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, whisk flour and seasonings together. Pour in the remaining 1 cup of milk. Whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour milk/flour/seasoning mixture into saucepan with broth mixture. Whisk and stir constantly as mixture simmers. Continue to let simmer until mixture is smooth and thick – about 10 minutes.
- Freeze or refrigerate (up to a week) or use immediately
You can use this substitute for cream soup in any of these recipes here:
Need a few more pantry staples?
Need a little more menu inspiration? Go HERE.
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.