Oh my goodness, this is some good cornbread. You know, I don't even like cornbread but I enjoyed a helping (and then some) of this yummy treat. . . it was just so good! My neighbor mentioned that she made it over the weekend and after looking up the recipe I knew we had to try it out at our house too. Let me just tell you that it made for a seriously happy husband on a plain ole' Monday night.
Vidalia Onion Cornbread adapted from Paula Deen on the Food Network
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 large Vidalia or other sweet onion, chopped
- 8 oz. package cornbread mix I used Jiffy
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup whole milk we only had skim and it worked out just fine
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- Set oven to 450. Spray 8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In saucepan, melt butter & saute it until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat & add the muffin mix, egg, milk, sour cream, 1/2 cup of cheese, salt, & dill weed.
- Mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into prepared pan and top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until set & toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool slightly before cutting in squares
Note: we were in a hurry (of course!), so I baked mine in muffin tins at 450 for about 15 minutes to shorten the cooking time. Next time I'm planning to make them in the 8×8 pan though!