I'm not sure if browsing Pinterest is all that great for my penny-pinching self, but for the last few weeks I've spent the money that's been leftover in our grocery budget . . . . (ahem) . . . . at Hobby Lobby. (Which has made me very happy!)
I found this cute idea on Pinterest, and while I loved how cute the buttons were in the original project, I couldn't find enough buttons to match at the store! (I'm also not a great seamstress, and the thought of sewing on that many buttons was a wee bit daunting.) As I hurried through the store though I noticed Hobby Lobby's cute press-board monograms though, so decided to use those instead.
Here's what you'll need to make one of these for your front door (or to hang anywhere in your home. . .)
Total Cost: $15.76
- fabric to cover the size of your canvas (I purchased 1/2 yard which was enough to cover 2 11×14 boards
- canvas on sale at Hobby Lobby 40% off, or use this 40% off coupon at Michael's on canvas prints (expires 9/17/11)
- pressed board monogram mine was $1.99 at Hobby Lobby
- spray paint to cover the letter (I used chocolate brown) use 40% off Hobby Lobby coupon (expires 9/17/11)
- ribbon on sale 50% off at Hobby Lobby
- staple gun if you don't have one, find a friend who does, and request one as a gift for Christmas – they come in so handy!
Spray paint monogram and let dry . . .
Measure fabric for canvas . . .
Staple fabric to ends, pulling tightly so that it doesn't bunch up. . .
Once all four sides are done, staple corners together . . .
Here's the front of the board once it's covered (these would even be cute plain if you had several favorite fabrics on separate canvases)
Tie bow and attach ribbon to back of board . . .
Use hot glue gun to attach monogram to board (I think I bought that hot glue gone for less than $4 at Wal-Mart ten years ago!) .
Hang on your front door (although now that I've done this I keep seeing other places that may need it!)
Here are a few other fun ideas I noticed on Pinterest this week . . .
- Fabulous Ruler idea this might be next week's Fluff-Up Friday project if I'm energetic
- Cute flour/sugar jars
- Clever way to highlight children's craft projects
- Sweet Mama & Me Journal perfect with any leftover composition books you may have from the back-to-school sales – thanks, Trena!
- Reese's Cheesecake Brownies okay, these aren't for your home, but WOWZA!
Do you have any craft projects that you’re working on in your home right now? If you have a blog and have made something, I’d love to see it, so leave your link it the comments section. Also, if there’s a craft you’ve seen on a website that you’re hoping to make, feel free to share that link as well (I’m always looking for new ideas!)
Check out previous Friday Fluff Up projects . . . and Happy Fluffing
Interact with 5610+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.