FREE HOME PLANNING
Okie dokie folks, here goes.
I don't really love this project.
But, I do love the idea of this project, and think it has potential. Does that count?
I saw this idea over on Pinterest to fluff up plain pillow covers using fabric scraps. Since I'm not a girl who sews ~ at all ~ I headed to Hobby Lobby where they have knock-off Pottery Barn pillow cases for $5.99 after their weekly 40% off coupon.
I spent $3 on fabric scraps (I purchased 1/8 yard of three different colors), as well as $6 on Wonder Under (with lots left over), and came home all ready to start fluffing.
Here were my mistakes:
- I didn't leave enough room at the edges of the pillow cases and have probably opted for four trees instead of five ~ or skinnier trees. When I put the pillow insert back in the pillow, it just looks crowded I think?
- I didn't really consider my favorite colors when working on the project. I love (LOVE) the colors in this pillow (right on my Goodwill chair.) My mother-in-law used to decorate homes, and once told me to pick a fabric I loved and decorate around that ~ so smart! So, hopefully I'll find the right look, and may just change things out a bit (but it was fun to try!)
I do think this is a super easy way to get just the look you want, and love that you're not limited to someone else's designs. I'm planning to tackle it again, and we'll see how it goes! Here's what I did for my first attempt though in case you'd like to try it out too . . .
Cut fabric into trees – I didn't really have a pattern, just kind of played with it until it felt right.
Then I lined them up . . . again and again and again . . . until everything was where I wanted it to be.
I think if I'd just left more room on the edges it would have turned out so much better, but for my first try it wasn't too bad? I cut pieces of Wonder Under and followed the directions on the package to iron the fabric scraps on.
So there you have it. 😉 Nothing fancy at all, but pretty simple even for a not-all-that-crafty girl like me. Now, in a perfect world I'd know how to sew and would just sew the fabric on, but this was a great way to try it out!
Have you done any Christmas crafting lately? I'd love to hear what you're up to! Here are a few more ideas I've been working on at our house . . .
- $2.50 Goodwill Chair Makeover
- Ornament Wreath
- Monogrammed Burlap Table Runner
- $3 Dollar Tree Christmas Wreaths
- Christmas Tree Decorated from The Dollar Tree
- How to Etch Glass (Joy Jar)
I'd love for you to join me over on Pinterest (I love that place!) If you have a blog and have done a little fluffing in your home, I’d love to see it, so leave your link in the comments section. Also, if there’s a craft you’ve seen on a website that you’re hoping to make, feel free to share that link as well (I’m always looking for new ideas!)
See more previous Friday Fluff Up projects and ideas . . . and Happy Fluffing!
Interact with 163,000+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
FREE HOME PLANNING CHECKLISTS!
Download your FREE checklists now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.