If you're looking for a quick delicious slow cooker meal – check out these ham and cheese melt sandwiches. They're perfect for dinner!
Ham and Cheese Melts – Made in your Slow Cooker!
This is one of those recipes that you think about making for sooooo long, and finally try out on a night when you're looking for some delicious and easy comfort food!
🍴MENU TIP: This meal is from week 2 of our Slow Cooker Menu Plan. Grab this recipe and 59 other delicious recipes here!
What I love about these ham and cheese melts is that it is SO simple to adapt for everyone. You can serve with a side of tomato soup, a small bowl of salad, or with some fancy flavored butter on the side!
While my hubby and I enjoyed a spiced up meal, the kids got a plain ole' grilled ham and cheese sandwich . . .which made them very happy.
If you make this Slow Cooker Ham recipe these Ham and Cheese Melts would be perfect to make with the leftovers!
Here's how to get started:
You'll need to grab a large loaf of bread, some sliced ham, cheese, and some spices. We like to use a large Artisan loaf and a nice deli ham. You can of course mix this up and use turkey if you'd like. We also add in cheese, onion slices, sweet banana peppers, olive oil, salt and pepper and some italian seasoning to jazz it up!
Start by cutting your bread about 11 – 13 times using a sharp knife. Don't slice completely through the bread. Ball up some aluminum foil and place it in the bottom of the crockpot to keep your bread off the bottom of the crock.
Then, on your countertop, layer your cheese and meat slices, and then add banana peppers and onions. Sprinkle with your seasonings.
Take your meat and cheese mix and add a layer between each slice of the bread. Wrap the bread sandwich in aluminum foil and then cook on low for 2 – 4 hours.
Once it's finished, remove the ham and cheese melt from the foil and slice into sandwiches.
What Cheese goes Best with Ham?
We like Swiss Cheese with this meal, but you could definitely use provolone as well. Really any cheese your family prefers will be just perfect!
Ham and Cheese Melts (In the Slow Cooker)
- 1 large round Artisan Loaf
- provolone or swiss cheese
- ham or turkey
- onion slices
- sweet banana peppers drained well
- olive oil
- Italian Seasoning optional
- salt and pepper optional
- 1/4 cup water for bottom of slow cooker
- Slice bread 11 - 13 times (you will need a very sharp knife for this!) Do not slice completely through the bread, instead leave a small amount unsliced at the bottom of the loaf to keep the sandwiches together.
- Ball up a few pieces of aluminum foil and place in the bottom of the crockpot to keep your bread up off the top of the slow cooker. Add 1/4 cup water to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- On countertop, layer cheese and slices of ham or turkey, then add banana peppers and onion slices. Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Place each layer in between two slices of bread. (Be sure to drain the banana peppers so that they don't make the bread soggy.)
- Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and cook for 2-4 hours on low. (We baked ours for about 4 hours and they were perfect!)
- Remove from foil and slice into sandwiches.
- Drizzle olive oil or add a little mayo to the inside of each sandwich if you'd like, and enjoy!
You could definitely make these ham and cheese melts in the oven too! Prepare them as in the instructions above, and then cook in the oven on medium heat until the bread is golden brown and the cheese has melted.
Feel free to get creative with your spices and seasonings too – a honey mustard dip might be delicious with this!
Looking for more Slow Cooker Meals? Here are a few of our favorites!
Looking for even MORE yummy meals? This recipe is from week two of our slow cooker menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!) Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.