If you enjoy this recipe, I’d sure love for you to “like” it on Facebook or “pin” it on Pinterest ~ just click the buttons above. Thanks so much for supporting PPP!
This is a re-post of my all time favorite slow cooker soup recipe… if you haven't tried this one yet, you'll want to add this penny pinched soup to your menu plan soon!
Let me just start by saying: if you like French Onion Soup, you've got to try this Slow Cooker French Onion Soup . . . yummm! My husband has a favorite restaurant in Colarado Springs that makes some plain-old-fantastic French Onion Soup, and he even agreed that this was almost as good as theirs.
I saw the recipe a few weeks ago over on One Hundred Dollars A Month, and love that it's a simple to make but tried and true recipe straight from Betty Crocker. I made a few adjustments to make what we had in our pantry work, but other than that we followed the recipe pretty closely and oh-my-goodness it was good! And, while serving this meatless meal will help you pinch a few extra pennies at the grocery store, I promise you'll be plenty stuffed when you finish this one . . . that cheesy gooeyness couldn't be one bit better.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 3 Large
- 7 1/2 Cups Water
You could also substitute with (4) 14 1/2 cans ready to serve beef broth ~ omit bouillon cubes if you use the broth
- 1 Packet Au Jus Seasoning Mix
- 3 Large Onions About 3 Cups
- 3 T Margarine or Butter Melted
- 3 T Flour
- 1 T Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 t Sugar
- 1 Loaf French Bread Sliced 1" Thick
- 3/4 Cup Shredded Mozzarella or Swiss Cheese
- Salt To Taste
- Pepper To Taste
- Put melted butter and onions in slow cooker. Stir so that onions are coated with margarine.
- Cover and cook on high for 30-35 minutes, until onions begin to slightly cook.
- Meanwhile, if using water and bouillion cubes, boil water in microwave and drop cubes into boiling water.
- Mix together flour, Worcestershire, sugar, and pepper.
- Pour broth, Au Jus Mix and Worcestershire mixture into crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
- Pour soup into oven-proof bowls (if you have them!) Place on baking sheet, and put a piece of sliced bread on top of soup.
- Cover with cheese, and broil in oven for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is bubbly
- Cool slightly (your bowls will be hot!), and enjoy..... yummmm!
- Day One: Slow Cooker Meat Loaf
- Day Two: Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Day Three: Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Day Four: Slow Day Five: Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodle Soup
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.