Enter to win a $50 Gift Card to your store of choice when you sign up for FREE Passionate Penny Pincher emails, and join us on Facebook for more Penny Pinched Meals & Deals!
I've tried way too many pot roast recipes to count. . . fairly unsuccesfully. (At least according to my not-always-impressed-with-my-penny-pinched-meals hubby.) But when I saw shoulder roasts on sale at Publix this week, I was determined to get it right, and I think I finally did! I realized that the biggest problem with the pot roasts that I've tried in the past has probably been the cut of meat ~ I thought that because everyone said to use a chuck roast, that was what I needed. But I don't think think I'll ever use another chuck roast again!
I've also tried the ever famous cream-of-mushroom & Lipton soup trick over and over again, but to me the roast always tasted like a soupy cream of mushroom mess. (I know some of you may just love it, but it wasn't a favorite at our house!) This however, was perfect. I started with a basic recipe from A Year Of Slow Cooking (if you love your slow cooker you've gotta check that site out), but adapted with what I had in the pantry. Here was my secret ingredient ~
The original recipe called for 3 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce, but when I couldn't find it in the pantry I decided this Beefy Mushroom soup might just work. It worked, and was really, really good. In fact, my son said it was the best recipe I've ever made and decided that we needed to pack up our slow cooker for our next family vacation. Yup, this is my new Slow Cooker Roast Winner!
- If you're looking for another fantastic recipe with a shoulder roast, check out these Italian Beef Sandwiches . . . yummmm!
Perfect Slow Cooked Roast Recipe adapted from A Year of Slow Cooking
- 2-3.5 pound roast I used a shoulder roast, I'll never try any other kind because this one was so good! Boneless Shoulder Roast, 4.49/lb at Publix
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced in rings
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 can Beefy Mushroom Soup not cream of mushroom
- 2 cups broth from slow cooker
- 1/2 tbsp. beef bouillion
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- Trim all fat from roast.
- Mix together flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in large plastic bag.
- Put the roast in the bag and shake it until completely coated in flour, then brown all sides in large skillet in olive oil.
- While the meat is browning, add your onion slices to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Put roast on top of onions, then pour beef broth and soup over top. (If you want to add carrots or potatoes, you could also put those on top.)
- Cook 9 hours on low heat in slow cooker. Serve with mashed potatoes, veggies, and (of course!) gravy.
- Remove 2 cups of the broth and place in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add bouillon and stir until it's completely mixed in to the broth.
- Mix together 2 tbsp. corn starch and 1/4 cup water.
- Slowly add corn starch mixture into broth, stirring constantly.
- Simmer over medium heat for one minute. Season if needed. (Ours didn't need any extra seasoning!)
- Mashed Potatoes 8lb bag Potatoes – $2.99 at Kroger or 5 lb. bag $.99/lb. at Aldi's
- Birdseye Frozen Veggies On Sale 50% off at Publix, use $1/3 Birds Eye Steamfresh Vegetables printable or $1/3 Birds Eyesteamfresh varieties 3/4/12 RP
Thanks to A Year Of Slow Cooking for the basic recipe. Visit I Heart Publix for more coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Gallery, and you can also see more recipe ideas over on my Pinterest board!
Interact with 7815+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.