Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
It's been a while since I've sung the praises of cooking a whole chicken in the crockpot, so I figured it was high time I give it a bit of attention. Now, I know it's kinda gross to tackle cooking a whole chicken if you've never done it before (be sure to grab some kitchen gloves!), but the meat is so delicious, and you can't beat the price.
Sam's Club has Tyson Whole Chicken Breast for around $.99/lb., so if you see a deal less than that while you're out and about it's worth stocking up. I've started purchasing 3-4 when they're on sale and cooking them two at a time in my slow cooker so that I have a bunch of meat when I need it in a hurry! And believe it or not, this recipe really doesn't require any liquid ~ your chicken will make plenty of juices on it's own. If you have any suggestions on other ways to cook whole chicken, I'd love to hear them!
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 whole chicken I usually look for the largest one I can find
- In small bowl, mix together first 5 ingredients.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Place whole chicken in slow cooker (be sure to remove the package of giblets from inside the bird prior to cooking)
- Rub seasoning mixture into chicken.
- Cook on low 5-8 hours, until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 180 degrees. Remove from slow cooker.
- If you'd like to brown the skin a bit, cook under broiler in oven for about 5 minutes, until skin is golden brown.
After your chicken cooked, serve it up with some mashed potatoes and veggies for dinner, then save all the extra meat to use in other recipes Here are my top 10 recipes to use leftover chicken in. . .
- Slow Cooked Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Barbecue Chicken Quesadillas
- Savory Cream Cheese Chicken Rolls
- Chicken & Broccoli Braid
- Chicken & Dumpling Casserole
- Homemade Chicken & Dumplings
- Chicken and Noodles
- Almost Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Tettrazini
- White Chicken Chili
- Sweet Southern Chicken Salad
If you'd rather cook your chicken in the oven, this Roast Sticky Rotisserie Style Chicken is divine also . . . I'm thinking I might just have to make a Sam's Club run to stock up!
Looking for more recipe ideas? Start HERE.
CHRISTMAS MADE EASY!
Download your FREE Ultimate Christmas Checklist now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.