Make this homemade chicken pot pie in no time! This recipe has SO MUCH FLAVOR using basic ingredients and a few shortcuts along the way!
Slow Cooker Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
My family always appreciates a good Homemade Chicken Pot Pie so I set on a mission to find one that would work in my old… faithful… crockpot (aka Mrs. Potts). 🙂
🍴 Menu Planning Note: You can also find this recipe in Week 2 of theSlow Cooker Menu Plans!
This recipe includes very basic ingredients along with some shortcuts to help you save even more time. One time saving tip is using a rotisserie chicken. With the craziness of your day, this is an item that you want to grab at your next Costco or Sam's Club run.
This crock pot chicken pot pie could not be easier to whip together. I promise you're gonna love this one. 🙂 (You may also want to try my Crockpot Chicken & Dumplings recipe!)
What do you need to make chicken pot pie in the crock pot?
This recipe is pretty much a fix-it-and-forget-it type of recipe – which is my FAVORITE!
- First, add chicken breasts (seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper).
- Next you'll add the seasonings. 1 teaspoon minced onion and 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning are all you need.\
- Pour in 2 cans cream of chicken soup. If you want more control over the cream of soups be sure to check out our homemade cream of chicken soup recipe.
- The only chopping required is to cut up 3 medium size potatoes into about ¼-inch cubes. Easy peasy! Throw those potatoes in and give everything a good stir.
- Let this cook on low 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred and then add back in to the slow cooker. Toss in the frozen mixed veggies and 1/2 cup heavy cream. Cover and cook on low another half hour.
- Finally, you'll need about 8 biscuits. Whatever type of biscuits that melt your butter will work. Canned, frozen or homemade – even these 7-up biscuits would be great!
Serve the filling over hot split biscuits and be ready to wow your family. 🙂
What to serve with Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie?
I keep it super simple when I make this (I'm so boring, haha). I like to serve my favorite kale salad and maybe some baby carrots on the side. However, this homemade applesauce seems like it would be super yummy as well.
How to thicken chicken pot pie in the crock pot?
If you find at the end of the day that your gravy isn't quite thick enough ~ don't fear ~ a cornstarch slurry is all you need. Mix together equal parts cornstarch and water. This is my go to hack and it works every time! You can try adding flour as well. Add a little at a time being careful to not add too much or it will get too thick.
Is this slow cooker chicken pot pie recipe freezer-friendly?
If your family is like mine and just aren't wild about leftovers go ahead and freeze any remaining filling. Chicken pot pie is just about the perfect recipe for freezing (think about those rock hard chicken pot pies in the freezer section of the grocery store 😱)!
To freeze, pour filling in a large zip-top freezer bag and get out as much air as possible. Pop in the freezer for up to 4 months.
You'll thank yourself when you can pull this filling out on a busy day, bake some biscuits and have dinner on the table in a flash! This is also a wonderful recipe to take to a new mom or someone who needs some happy in the form of a meal.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- slow cooker
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp minced onion
- ½ tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 10.5 oz cans cream of chicken soup
- 3 potatoes, cut in ¼-inch cubes
- 16 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 biscuits (store bought or homemade)
- Add chicken to slow cooker and season with salt, pepper, minced onion and poultry seasoning.
- Pour cream of chicken soup over the chicken, then add in cubed potatoes.
- Cover and cook on low 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred.
- Add shredded chicken back in slow cooker and stir in frozen mixed vegetables and heavy cream; cover and cook an additional 20-30 minutes on low.
- Meanwhile, bake biscuits according to package directions.
- Split biscuits on plate and serve chicken pot pie on top of biscuits.
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from week two of our slow cooker menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!) Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.