I couldn't wait to share this week's meal deal with you . . . until I actually cooked it. When I asked my family for suggestions on what they'd like for dinner this week, my husband mentioned my favorite Homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe, and the wheels started turning in my head . . . “hmmmm, bet I can make that even better and easier for summer days! How about Chicken Pot Pie in the Crock Pot?”
Of course I just new this would quickly become one of the most searched recipes on PPP (almost as good as these Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings.) And I knew I'd hit the jackpot which such an incredibly, amazing idea. (You were so excited too, right?) 😉
So, I tried it. Threw everything in Mrs. Potts, spent the whole day so stinkin' proud of myself as my house smelled so warm and yummy, and knew I had this meal deal pegged.
And then . . . it failed. Miserably. (Seriously ~ I handed my kids a jar of peanut butter and told them they didn't have to eat a single bite.)
So, instead of posting that not-so-good-chicken-pot-pie-slow-cooker-recipe that I really wanted to be delicious, I'm sharing one of our old favorites. And, while the picture up there is of the not-so-yummy one, I promise this one looks just about the same and you'll love every bite. (And I'm so mad at myself for not sticking with my tried and true recipe ~ guess it will be back on the menu plan next week!)
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 bag frozen veggies
- 1 double crust pie crust
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Take pie crusts out of refrigerator and set on counter to bring to room temperature.
- Melt butter or margarine in large skillet on stove top.
- Add onions and saute over medium heat until translucent.
- In bowl, stir together the flour, salt, pepper and thyme, add milk and chicken broth. Use whisk to mix until smooth, then add to onion and butter.
- Bring to a boil and cook two minutes while stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken and vegetables and remove from heat.
- Line pie plate with one pie crust.
- Fill pie crust with chicken mixture, then cover with second pie crust.
- Cut slits in top of pie crust, bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving ~ enjoy!
Here are a few sales you’ll want to watch for this week:
- Green Giant Steamers $1.30 at Publix
- Boneless Chicken Breasts $2.99/lb at Publix or Tyson Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $2.49/lb. at Kroger
And if by some chance you've come up with an incredible way to cook Chicken Pot Pie in the crock pot, puh-lease let me know. (Although I'm thinkin' I'll be sticking with this one before wasting the ingredients again.) In case you're wondering, the “pie” part was just biscuits that you baked at the end of the day and topped the chicken mixture with, but it just wasn't good at all. Oh well.
Guess we all have those days. 😉
THE ULTIMATE PRICE COMPARISON SHEET
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.