I cannot say enough good things about this soup!! It's fresh, clean and just scrumptious. 🙂 Perfect for spring and summertime! 🍋🍋🍋 ~ really any time!
You can find this one as well as 59 more AMAZING recipes in our Slow Cooker Meal Plans! Also included is a shopping list for each of the 12 weeks and a private facebook group to cheer you on! Take a peek over HERE!
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
I'm not the biggest fan of soup in the warmer weather, but this Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is a great one to serve all year long.
I'll admit, my hubby was a bit skeptical when I told him I was making a soup that had, ummmmm……lemon juice in it and had lemon in the main title. But, if you've ever had a similar soup at Panera then you'll be sooooo happy you've found this jewel of a recipe.
Now, let's get to it and by the way, my whole family loved this one and gobbled it right down! Even the hubby! 🙂
prep time 20 minutes | cook time 6-7 hours | serves 12 | 175 calories per serving
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb pkg carrots, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 32 oz cartons low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz orzo pasta
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- 5 oz pkg baby spinach leaves
- shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté carrots, celery and onions in hot oil until vegetables begin to soften. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to slow cooker.
- Add thyme, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, bay leaf, chicken broth and chicken to slow cooker; stir.
- Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours or on high 3-4 hours.
- Remove bay leaf and chicken; shred chicken and return to slow cooker.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, squeeze lemons for juice and zest.
- Add cooked pasta, lemon juice, zest and baby spinach to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low about 5 minutes or until spinach wilts into the broth.
- Ladle into bowls and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
This recipe includes basic calorie counts. If you’re adhering to a specific diet and would like exact calories and nutrition information on a certain recipe, use an online calorie counter like My Fitness Pal, Lose It or Very Well Fit.
Looking for more recipes?
Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK!
Download your FREE 2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.