This Crustless Apple Pie is SO delicious. Find out how to make apple pie with all of the flavor but with lower calories (perfect for Summer)!
Crustless Apple Pie
With only 5 ingredients and 239 calories this Crustless Apple Pie really packs on the flavor! You won't even miss the crust with the addition of a crunch and cinnamon (out of this WORLD) oat topping.
Now don't get me wrong, I love a good traditional or skillet apple pie and my favorite fall apple treat is this Chunky Apple Cake (but my waistline not so much). This amazing Crustless Apple Pie Recipe is a much better option if you're watching your waistline like me. 🙂
🍽️TIP: This crustless apple pie recipe is from week 5 of our low calorie menu planning made easy set!
As we were driving a few nights ago, I ordered groceries to make most of the low cal meals for the week (I typically order groceries using Instacart or Kroger Clicklist), and in under 30 minutes my meals were planned and grocery shopping done.
Apple Pie Ingredients
- ground cinnamon
- old-fashioned rolled oats
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
How to make crustless apple pie:
Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Peel, core and slice the apples in half.
On a cutting board, place each apple flat side down. Using a paring knife, create thin slices all the way across; try to stop slicing right before the bottom so it stays together as one piece.
Transfer apple halves to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Lightly brush the apples with 2 tablespoons melted butter, and sprinkle each apple with a bit of sugar.
Bake about 25 minutes or until the apples are soft.
Remove the apples from oven and set aside.
Next, grab a small bowl and combine the remaining butter, sugar, cinnamon and oats. Spoon this yummy oat mixture inside the apple slits.
Return the apples back to the oven, and bake another 10 minutes.
If you're not concerned about calories go ahead and top each serving with a scoop of ice cream. Delicious!!
Crustless Apple Pie
- 3 large apples peeled, cored, and halved vertically
- 6 Tbsp butter melted and divided
- 6 Tbsp sugar plus a small amount for sprinkling
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- vanilla ice cream optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a cutting board, place each apple flat side down. Using a paring knife, create thin slices all the way across; try to stop slicing right before the bottom so it stays together as one piece.
- Transfer apple halves to baking sheet. Lightly brush apples with 2 Tablespoons butter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake approximately 25 minutes or until apples are soft.
- Remove apples from oven. In a small bowl, combine remaining butter, sugar, cinnamon and oats. Spoon mixture inside apple slits.
- Return to oven and bake 10 minutes more.
- Top each serving with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
Can you freeze apple pie?
It's best to freeze a traditional apple pie with crust before baking. However, you can choose to bake and then freeze. Both baked and unbaked apple pie will last up to 6 months in the freezer. If you choose to freeze only the apple pie filling, it will remain fresh up to 12 months in the freezer.
What are the best apples to use in apple pie?
Granny Smith – you can never go wrong with these. They're available year round and a no-fail baking apple. Granny Smith's are tart and crisp and always hold firm after baking.
Braeburn – Crisp and a good balance between tart and sweet. Braeburn apples hold their form in a pie and in other baked apple desserts.
Jonagold – Tart with a bit of honeyed flavor sweetness. They also hold up well in the oven and are the perfect apple for slow cooker recipes.
Honeycrisp – My kid's favorite! A great snacking apple because of their intense sweetness. Their sweet flavor intensifies when baked and they hold their form pretty well too.
This delicious crustless apple pie recipe is included in week 5 of our low calorie menu planning made easy set. There are 72 recipes included in this menu plan which consists of 5 dinner recipes and 1 dessert recipe in each weekly meal plan AND each recipe includes the calorie counts and net carbs. Check it out here!
You may also like to try these delicious apple recipes:
SIDES MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample menus now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.