FREE BUDGET WORKSHEET DOWNLOAD!
Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
Looking to try out some healthier recipes i the new year? I have to tell you, I loved this recipe for zucchini lasagna.
But in the interest of full disclosure,
They tried it, ate a bit, and weren't completely opposed,
but, there were no second scoops, and the leftovers went uneaten. 🙁
Honestly? They just want their big ole' white lasagna noodles, however I'm determined to keep at it and show them just how yummy fresh veggies can be.
It's a work in progress around here.
I did use this super-fancy-cool-amazing veggies slicer that came with this spiralizer, and I loved how easy it made the process. If you're hoping to sneak in a few veggies on your family too, it's definitely worth checking out.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 lb ground turkey or ground beef (we used ground turkey)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 egg
- 1 (15 ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz grated Parmesan cheese
Homemade Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- hot water as needed
- *NOTE: You can substitute the sauce ingredients above with 26oz pasta sauce of your choice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices using a peeler. Sprinkle slices lightly with salt and set aside in a colander to pull the moisture out of the zucchini.
- Cook the ground beef and black pepper in a large skillet over medium high heat for about 5 minutes. Add in the green pepper and onion; cook until meat is done. Stir in the tomato paste, tomato sauce, wine, basil, and oregano, adding a small amount of hot water if the sauce is too thick. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In another bowl stir egg, ricotta, and parsley together.
- Assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of a greased pan. Next layer 1/2 the zucchini slices, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, all of the spinach, followed by all of the mushrooms, and 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat by layering the remaining meat sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella. Spread Parmesan cheese evenly over the top and cover with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C), for an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.
Looking for more recipes?
- Skinny Zucchini Quiche
- Lazy Lasagna (Just 5 Ingredients)
- Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Rollups
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dressing
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
FREE BUDGET WORKSHEET!
Download your FREE worksheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.
Leave a Reply