When I noticed that Publix has their pizza dough on sale this week, I knew a Publix pizza dough recipe would be added to our menu plan for the week! We love Publix pizza dough, and while it's not quite the same as homemade (which would work great too!), it's awfully easy to work with and tastes fantastic. We actually made these last summer, and I just added them again to the menu plan for this week.
You do have to be willing to work a bit to get the dough all pressed flat (which gives you a nice little arm workout while you get dinner cooking. . . ) If you have a pastry/pizza dough roller your job will go much more smoothly, but if not, prepare for a workout! Once your dough is ready, add whatever extra toppings your family enjoys to each calzone ~ my kids had just pepperoni and cheese, but my hubby and I added mushrooms, onions, and green peppers to ours. (I wish we'd had spinach or even diced chicken on hand because I think a those would have been yummy too!) So, rather than just ordering take out tonight, grab a few simple ingredients and get cooking.
Fresh Baked Calzones
- Pizza Dough we used two loaves of Publix Pizza dough to make two huge calzones at our house, but you could also make your own, or even try out this Cauliflower Pizza Dough!
- Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Butter or margarine melted
- Additional toppings mushrooms, spinach, onions, green peppers, tomatoes . . . whatever you choose!
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Roll out pizza dough into large round circle. (If you're having a hard time getting it to roll out thinly, try holding it up to let the weight of the dough stretch it out.)
- Brush inside of crust with olive oil.
- Add pepperoni and any additional toppings.
- Sprinkle cheese ~ I used about 1 1/2 cups per calzone.
- Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning ~ I used between 1/2 and 1 tsp. on each calzone.
- Fold crust and press to seal. (Note: I thought mine was sealed pretty well but it definitely started to "poof" while it was baking! It may not be the prettiest calzone ever, but I promise it'll be delicious.) 😉
- Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn't brown too quickly.
- Brush crust lightly with melted butter or margarine. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and a little garlic salt (optional).
- Serve with marinara sauce.
- Serve with Salad ~ Fresh Express Salad Blend BOGO $3.99 at Publix
- Pubilx Italian Pizza Dough (found in bakery) BOGO $2.69
- Mama Mancini's Marinara Sauce BOGO at Publix
- or LaFlamiglia Pasta Cause BOGO $3.49
- Publix Shredded Cheese 16 oz $3.99, use $1/2 Market Pantry Cheese Item Target printable
You may want to check out this handy pastry roller from Amazon ~ I don't have one, so at the bargain price of $4.96 I just picked one up! I think it will make the dough so much easier to work with (I love the Publix dough, but it is thick!)
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.