This Tex Mex Chicken Casserole requires items you probably already have on hand in your kitchen, and is a great way to spruce up dinner!
My friend (and amazing helper!) Shannon has been telling me forever about this Tex Mex Chicken Casserole recipe, and finally I took her advice and actually made it!
I looked through my fridge, freezer and pantry and had everything ready right there in the kitchen, so I was thrilled to make dinner without an extra trip to the grocery store.
It was so simple to put together, and definitely a hit. Because it was more than we really needed I split it into two smaller dishes and shared half with a friend – her family served it with chips ~ we had ours as a main dish with a salad ~ and we all had dinner done!
Here's what you'll need to get started . . .
Tex Mex Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked
- 1 can cream of chicken soup I used their Healthy Request brand
- 4 oz sour cream I used light
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened (also used light) 🙂
- 1 can Rotel
- 1/2 cup red onion
- black beans optional - I left these out but think they would be delicious!
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix together cooked rice, chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, softened cream cheese, Rotel, chili powder, red onion, black beans (optional) and 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese.
- Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish or two smaller dishes.
- Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle additional 3/4 cups cheddar cheese over casserole.
- Bake another 5 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- Cool 10 minutes - Enjoy!
If you aren't a fan of using the canned Cream of Chicken soup in this Tex Mex Chicken Casserole, you can try our homemade cream soup recipe – it's SUPER easy and I think you'll love using it!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, take a look at all of our recipes HERE.
SIDES MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample menus now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.