Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
My friend (and amazing helper!) Shannon has been telling me forever about this Tex Mex Chicken Casserole recipe, and finally I took her advice and actually made it! I looked through my fridge, freezer and pantry and had everything ready right there in the kitchen, so I was thrilled to make dinner without an extra trip to the grocery store.
It was so simple to put together, and definitely a hit. Because it was more than we really needed I split it into two smaller dishes and shared half with a friend – her family served it with chips ~ we had ours as a main dish with a salad ~ and we all had dinner done! Here's what you'll need to get started . . .
NOTE: We've started using this homemade cream soup substitute here – it's an easy recipe I think you'll love!
Tex Mex Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked
- 1 can cream of chicken soup I used their Healthy Request brand
- 4 oz sour cream I used light
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened (also used light) 🙂
- 1 can Rotel
- 1/2 cup red onion
- black beans optional - I left these out but think they would be delicious!
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix together cooked rice, chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, softened cream cheese, Rotel, chili powder, red onion, black beans (optional) and 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese.
- Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish or two smaller dishes.
- Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle additional 3/4 cups cheddar cheese over casserole.
- Bake another 5 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- Cool 10 minutes - Enjoy!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.