If you're looking for an easy recipe to use with the price of apples so low, check out this cast iron skillet apple pie. It's delicious!
Cast Iron Skillet Apple Pie
I posted this Skillet Apple Pie recipe last fall, and figured since apples are at one of the best prices of the year you might enjoy it again! It really is the best apple pie recipe I've ever tried, and the perfect way to put your cast iron skillet to good use if you have one.
I've tried quite a few apple pie recipes over the last fifteen years (when my hubby and I got married and I decided making apple pies was an absolute Fall requirement. . . ), however this one just won the best-apple-pie-ever vote in our house.
We enjoyed it last night for dessert, I was so tempted to have it today for breakfast (but I resisted . . . really!), and oh my goodness, it is simply delicious!
🍴🍴MENU TIP: You can grab this Skillet Apple Pie Recipe and 59 others with our freezer menu planning made easy set!
We've owned a cast iron skillet for quite some time but I've never taken the time to actually figure out what to make in it. After making this cast iron skillet apple pie recipe, I've decided this might just be what those skillets are made for!
Skillet Apple Pie
- 4 lb Apples 2 lb Granny Smith & 2 lb Braeburn apples are recommended
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 pkg Refrigerated Piecrusts
- 1 Egg White
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- Butter Pecan or Vanilla Ice Cream optional - we didn't have it but it would have been delightful!
- Heat oven to 350. Peel and cut apples into wedges. Mix with cinnamon and 3/4 cup graulated sugar.
- Add butter to skillet and cook over medium heat. Add brown sugar, and cook stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes (until sugar dissolves.)
- Remove skillet from heat and place one of the pie crusts on top of the brown sugar mixture. Then add the apple/cinnamon sugar mixture, and top with the second crust.
- Whisk egg white until fluffy, and brush the top of the pie crust with the egg white.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar onto pie crust.
- Cut a few slits in top of pie crust to vent.
- Bake at 350 for between 1 hour and 1 hour and 10 minutes (mine was done at 1 hour.) During last ten minutes you may need to cover the pie with foil to keep the pie from browning too much. (Mine was fine without covering, however if you use the egg white it may brown a little more quickly.)
- Cool on wire rack for at least thirty minutes, and serve with ice cream.
Looking for more yummy meals?
You'll also get access to our Facebook group – which is FULL of families sharing tips for dinners and more.
These truly are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!)
Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.