FREE BUDGET WORKSHEET DOWNLOAD!
If you're looking for an easy recipe to use with apples, check out this cast iron skillet apple pie. It's delicious!
Cast Iron Skillet Apple Pie
I posted this Skillet Apple Pie recipe last Fall, and figured since apples *should* soon be coming up on the best prices of the year you might enjoy it again! It really is the best apple pie recipe I've ever tried, and the perfect way to put your cast iron skillet to good use if you have one.
I've tried quite a few apple pie recipes over the last few years (once my hubby and I got married and I decided making apple pies was an absolute Fall requirement. . . ), however this one just won the best apple pie ever vote in our house.
The last time we made this, we had it for dessert after dinner, and the next day I was SO tempted to have it for breakfast too. It's THAT good!
🍴🍴MENU TIP: You can grab this Skillet Apple Pie Recipe and 59 others with our freezer menu planning made easy set!
We've owned a cast iron skillet for quite some time but I've never taken the time to actually figure out what to make in it. After making this cast iron skillet apple pie recipe, I've decided this might just be what those skillets are made for!
- butter or margarine
- brown sugar
- piecrust (refrigerated)
- egg white
- ice cream (optional)
How do you make apple pie in a skillet?
The best part of this recipe (other than it is DELICIOUS!) is that it can be made right in your cast iron. Gather up your ingredients and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Start by peeling your apples and cut into wedges. Mix them with cinnamon and sugar. Next, add your butter to the cast iron and cook over medium heat. Add in brown sugar, and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 – 2 minutes (or until the sugar dissolves).
Then, remove the skillet from heat and place one of the pie crusts on top of the brown sugar mixture. Add your apple mixture, and top with the second crust.
Whip your egg white until fluffy, and brush the top of the pie crust. Sprinkle about 2 Tablespoons of sugar onto the top of the crust. Remember to cut a few slits in the top of the pie crust so the pie can vent.
Bake for about an hour to an hour and ten minutes until baked through.
TIP: During the last 10 minutes, you may want to cover the pie with foil to keep the crust from browning too much!
Remove the pie from the oven, allow to cool, and serve with ice cream!
Skillet Apple Pie
- 4 lb Apples 2 lb Granny Smith & 2 lb Braeburn apples are recommended
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter or Margarine
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 pkg Refrigerated Piecrusts
- 1 Egg White
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- Butter Pecan or Vanilla Ice Cream optional - we didn't have it but it would have been delightful!
- Heat oven to 350. Peel and cut apples into wedges. Mix with cinnamon and 3/4 cup graulated sugar.
- Add butter to skillet and cook over medium heat. Add brown sugar, and cook stirring constantly for 1-2 minutes (until sugar dissolves.)
- Remove skillet from heat and place one of the pie crusts on top of the brown sugar mixture. Then add the apple/cinnamon sugar mixture, and top with the second crust.
- Whisk egg white until fluffy, and brush the top of the pie crust with the egg white.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar onto pie crust.
- Cut a few slits in top of pie crust to vent.
- Bake at 350 for between 1 hour and 1 hour and 10 minutes (mine was done at 1 hour.) During last ten minutes you may need to cover the pie with foil to keep the pie from browning too much. (Mine was fine without covering, however if you use the egg white it may brown a little more quickly.)
- Cool on wire rack for at least thirty minutes, and serve with ice cream.
Looking for more delicious dinners?
This recipe is from week nine of our freezer menu plans. You get 60 AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)!
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ).
Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
FREE BUDGET WORKSHEET!
Download your FREE worksheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.