A friend of mine mentioned cooking up some bean soup a few days ago, and I decided I had to try it out! So today I ran to Publix to grab the ingredients (without even a single coupon or deal . . . ) and this stuff is just plain old cheap!
So if you're looking for a yummy hearty soup that won't bust your grocery budget, try this one out. (My hubby has the cornbread baking up in the oven right now . . . yummmmmm!)
Ham & Bean Soup
- (2) 16 oz. cans great northern beans Publix Brand Advantage Buy 4/$3
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 smoked pork hocks or 1 1/2 pound meaty ham bone I had never seen a pork hock until today, but it clost me just a whopping $1.15 at Publix! If you have any ham leftover from Christmas this would be a great use for it 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups celery hopefully you still have some leftover from last week's BOGO sale!
- 1 cup onion
- 3/4 tsp. thyme crushed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Corn Muffin Mix this isn't actually in the ingredients, but my husband says you can't make it (EVER!) without the cornbread! Martha White Cornbread mixes are $.43 at Publix
- Place ham bone or pork in 3 cups water.
- Add celery, onion, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Cover & simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, take ham or pork out and let cool.
- Once bone is cooled, remove any meat and discard the bone.
- Slightly mash beans in saucepan and return meat to pan.
- Heat through, makes four large servings.
Serve with . . . cornbread of course!
Here's my confession: we did not return the meat to the pan because it really didn't look all that appetizing to me. I think leftover ham would be delicious, but I just couldn't put the pork hock meat back in the pan! If you've ever made bean soup before, what kind of meat do you use and do you include it? This is a new one for me!
Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals! If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Index. Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook to keep up with all the meals & deals.
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.