Check out the Best Dollar Tree School Supplies you should buy for back to school this year! Everything is always just $1 each (or less) at Dollar Tree, so you can really pinch pennies there!
Dollar Tree School Supplies
But, I just don't love the Dollar Tree for (many) school supplies. And here's why.
While Dollar Tree has reasonable prices on some back to school supplies year round, their quality just isn't good enough to compete with those stores during the back-to-school shopping season.
HOWEVER, there are a few items that I think are worth swinging by the Dollar Tree for this year. Here's the list we came up with of what to buy (and what not to buy.) See what you think!
Back to School Items You Should Buy at the Dollar Tree
These writing tablets are often hard to find and rarely available at that price. If you have young children learning to write and this is on their school supply list, it's a great way to save!
Also, it's rare to find construction paper deeply discounted during the back to school sales at other stores, so it's worth picking up construction paper when you're there.
These project boards usually cost a few dollars each at other office supply stores. For just $1 each, this is a great price you really can't beat!
I *love* the savings you can get on white and color poster boards at Dollar Tree. You won't find this price anywhere else, so this is an easy way to save.
Dollar Tree actually has a lot of cute items to decorate kids lockers with – magnetic dry erase boards, shelves, trays, stickers, and more! You won't feel bad letting the kiddos deck out their lockers at Dollar Tree!
5. 1.5″ BINDERS
Don't grab the 100ct cards (pictured above) as you can usually get 100ct packs of index cards for around $0.50 or maybe less at Walmart and Target. Instead get the 3×5 Index Cards 200ct packs for just $1, which seems pretty good to me for twice as many!
And here are 7 items I wouldn't buy at the Dollar Tree (compared to Walmart & Target pricing . . . )
1. Pencils 16ct
- Compared to $.97 for 20 pencils at Walmart or $1.24 at Target, I would steer clear of these (and I've heard they break easily!). Plus, pencils often go on sale for 1¢ at Office Depot with $5 purchase.
2. Crayons 64ct (not Crayola)
- Crayola 24ct crayons often go on sale for 25¢ during Back to School season. Grab 3 packs for $0.75 and you'll be getting more AND better crayons for less.
3. Pens 10ct
- Compared to 12ct Bic Pens for $0.97 at Walmart, I would buy these pens elsewhere. Plus, the 12ct packs usually go on sale for just $0.50 at Staples and Office Depot/OfficeMax.
4. Colored pencils 10ct (not Crayola)
- Compared to $.97 – $1.29 for Crayola 12ct colored pencils at Walmart and Target, I would rather purchase name-brand for less.
5. Glue Sticks 4ct or Jumbo 2ct (not Elmer's)
- You can usually stock up on the (better) Elmer's glue sticks for just $0.25 per stick at Staples, Target, Walmart, etc. These glue sticks usually do not dry up nearly as fast as the off-brand sticks and are usually preferred by teachers.
- Composition notebooks are almost always on sale for $0.50 or less at Walmart and Target, so don't pay twice as much!
- You can almost always find 70-page spiral notebooks for just $0.25 each at Walmart and Target, so grab a few of them and you'll pay less than one notebook at Dollar Tree.
See all the best back to school tips, deals, and print your free Back to School Price Cheat Sheet HERE!
2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK!
Download your FREE 2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.