Welcome Fall with this scrumptious Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread recipe – it can be easily made into muffins as well!
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe
I'm so excited about this recipe for Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread!
While I love my usual pumpkin quick-bread recipe (it's so good), I love that this one is a little more on the healthy side. It calls for only whole wheat flour, substitutes the oil for applesauce, and tastes oh-so-good.
Most of the recipes that I bake with whole wheat flour call for half whole wheat and half regular white flour, so I wasn't quite sure how this one would do.
It definitely is a little more dense than our regular recipe, but it is nice and moist and still tastes delicious.
It has just 155 calories per serving and 2.9 grams of fat per serving (assuming 12 servings per loaf), which is half the calories of my regular recipe. (That one has about 319 calories per serving and 12.6 grams of fat.)
I'm pretty sure I won't make my old recipe again after tasting how yummy this one was!
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Baking Soda
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Pumpkin Pie Filling (you can sub for Pure Pumpkin to keep the sugar down as well)
- Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- White Sugar
- Egg Whites
Here's how to make this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread Recipe:
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and greasing your pan. We used a 9×5 loaf pan, but you can use muffins, mini muffins, or mini loaf pans too.
Whisk together your dry ingredients – flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine your wet ingredients and flavorings- pumpkin filling, applesauce, sugar, egg, egg whites, and cinnamon.
Then add the flour mixture to your pumpkin mixture. Once well combined, add in your chocolate chips.
Pour into your greased baking dish and bake for 45 to 60 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
If you're planning to store these for later, be sure to cool all the way to room temperature.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Canned Pumpkin Pie Filling You can substitute canned pumpkin as well to cut some of the sugar if you'd like!
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar
- 1 Whole Egg
- 2 Egg Whites or equivalent
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Heat oven to 350 Degrees and grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together pumpkin filling, applesauce, sugar, egg, egg whites, and cinnamon.
- Add flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until combined, then add chocolate chips.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 50 minutes.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf
If you'd like to turn this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread into a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf, you can easily do so by baking with loaf pans. I think these Wilton Mini loaf pans are pretty adorable for gifting this bread to others too!
If you're only wanting a small amount of bread too (maybe a smaller family or you just don't want to much around), you can bake the recipe in these mini loaves and then wrap well. Label and place in the freezer and then rewarm as you're ready to eat them.