These Peppermint Cookies can be customized for color and flavor. PERFECT for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day or 4th of July!
These Peppermint Cookies are super cute and tasty and are perfect for Christmas, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day or 4th of July! Or just a regular old Tuesday too.
These cookies use this basic vanilla cookie recipe and includes items you probably have in your pantry already.
You can easily change up the colors, flavors, and toppings to match these for whatever Holiday or event you're planning. Love that!
- basic cookie dough recipe
- peppermint extract
- red food coloring
- granulated sugar
- chocolate almond bark or other melting chocolate
- crushed peppermint or candy canes
How to make Peppermint Cookies:
Prepare the your basic cookie dough.
Next, add in your red food coloring and peppermint extract to the dough.
Roll into about 1-inch balls and put on a parchment lined cookie sheet. You'll want to press down each ball using a flat bottom glass dipped in water.
Next, bake in a 350°F oven for about 8-10 minutes then let cool completely on a wire rack.
After the cookies are completely cool, dip edge of cookie into melted almond bark. Next, sprinkle with the crushed peppermint. Place on a wire rack to let almond bark completely harden.
How do you crush candy canes for peppermint cookies?
Place peppermint candies in a large zip-top plastic bag and zip shut. Pound with a rolling pin, heavy skillet or rubber mallet until coarsely crushed. Or, you can process in a food processor by using the on/off pulsing action.
You can also purchase crushed peppermint in bulk if you're planning to make a lot of these cookies.
Peppermint Cookies (Made from Basic Cookie Dough)
- 1 recipe basic cookie dough
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- granulated sugar, optional
- Chocolate almond bark or other melting chocolate
- Crushed peppermint or candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone mat.
- Prepare basic cookie dough.
- Add food coloring and peppermint extract to basic cookie dough and mix very well.
- Roll into balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Lightly press down each cookie ball using a flat bottom glass dipped in water. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edge are set and slightly golden brown.
- Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
- Crush peppermint in a resealable bag using a rolling pin. Then melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl.
- Dip edge of cookie into chocolate and immediately add crushed peppermint. Place on wire rack to set.
- Store in an airtight container.
Looking for more cookies like these Peppermint Cookies to try at home? These are some of our favorites!
- Easy Sugar Cookies with Buttercream Icing
- Homemade Great American Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Reeses Peanut Butter Pudding Cookies
- Trail Mix Cookies
If you need a little more menu inspiration, see all of our family friendly recipes.
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.