I am so stinkin' excited about this.
For years, I've used plain old vinegar as fabric softener. (It works great!)
Straight vinegar honestly can still be a little on the pricey side, so figuring out this homemade fabric softener alternative just makes me happy.
And, it's easy.
DIY Fabric Softener Recipe
Like, REALLY easy.
So, go grab yourself some vinegar and a wee bit of conditioner, and get ready to do some shaking. 🙂
- 5 cups hot water
- 1 cup conditioner ($.79 – be sure to use the cheap stuff)
- 3 cups vinegar ($1.99 for gallon jug)
- Mix all ingredients in large bottle (I re-used a milk jug)
- Give the bottle a good shake.
- That's it!
I add about 1/2 of a cup to my load of laundry, and it works great ~ super simple, and crazy penny pinched! Here's the math for this DIY fabric softener recipe:
- 40¢ for conditioner (I used about half the bottle)
- 30¢ for vinegar
- Total cost for enough to do 20 loads of laundry = 70¢ or 3.5¢ per load ~ not too shabby!
To compare, Downy on Amazon costs 7¢ per load, so that's almost half the regular cost of fabric softener!
I did notice though while I was price checking that Bounce on Amazon is just 3¢ per sheet, so honestly, if you love Bounce that's a pretty simple way to stock up.
If you love using homemade cleaners with basic ingredients, this is the way to go, and you could totally skip the conditioner if you really want to pinch those pennies. 🙂
Looking for more frugal DIY recipes?
- Homemade Soap Scum Remover
- Homemade Carpet Stain Remover
- Homemade Window Cleaner
- How to Clean a Dry Erase Board
- Homemade Heating Pad
SCHOOL SUPPLY PRICE CHEAT SHEET!
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.