FREE 2023 Home Planner Sneak Peek!
My favorite sandwich at Subway is their Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki Sauce, so we decided to try it out at home! I found a recipe for the Sweet Onion sauce over on Food.com, and we tried it out with this week's bargain Perdue Short Cuts . . . so it was super easy and pretty inexpensive! While it wasn't exactly like the Subway sauce, it was pretty close and yummy for a busy weeknight meal.
Here's the recipe if you'd like to “cook” it up for your family . . .
Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki Sandwich
Ingredients – For the sandwich
- Hoagie Rolls
- Perdue Shortcuts
- cheese optional
- any other “Subway-like” toppings we had banana peppers, pickles, and onions in addition to our lettuce & tomatoes
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon minced white onion
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon buttermilk baking mix we didn't use this, but I wish I had!
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon poppy seed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- 1 pinch garlic powder
- Mix together sauce ingredients in microwave safe bowl.
- Heat in microwave for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes until brought to a boil.
- Whisk mixture well, cover and cool.
- Make your sub sandwich, then drizzle over the sub. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Food.com. Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and visit $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals! If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Index.
Interact with 5590+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals, or subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email