If you're like me and constantly trying to figure out what to do with more cheap chicken (thank you Kroger sales!), here's one more simple meal to add to your weeknight dinner rotation! I keep hoping that Publix will add in a few penny-pinched meat deals, but since they're so few and far between I've been stocking up on more chicken every week at Kroger.
While the recipe requires a little more work than I normally like for a slow cooker meal (meaning you have to spend five minutes to saute the chicken ahead of time), it still is pretty quick to prepare, and a great way to let Mrs. Potts do the work while you enjoy summer. And, it'll keep you from using your oven in this crazy record-breaking heat! And if you don't want plain old chicken, you could easily cook this recipe up all day, then shred the chicken to make a simple grilled chicken salad. Here's how to make it in your house tonight . . .
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken
adapted from Taste of Home
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 3 lbs. bone in chicken breast halves (we used boneless chicken breasts) Perdue Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $1.79/lb. at Kroger, or Publix Greenwise Cihcken Breast $4.99/lb. or Split Chicken Breast with Ribs $1.99/lb. at Publix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter Land O Lakes Butter on sale $2.50 at Publix, use $1/2 or $.30/1 from 6/10 Smart Source
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules Use $1.50 off any jar of Better Than Bouillon
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Mix together oregano, seasoning salt & pepper and rub over chicken. In skillet, brown the chicken in butter over medium heat until lightly browned, then transfer chicken to your slow cooker.
- Add water, lemon juice, garlic and bouillion to the skillet, bring to a boil, and stir in loosened browned bits.
- Pour lemon juice mixture over chicken and cook on low 3-4 hours.
- Baste the chicken, then add parsley. Cover and cook an additional 15-30 minutes, or until juices run clear.
Serve with . . .
- Hot Cooked Rice Use $5/5 Uncle Ben's Brown or White Rice Product, exp. 8/18/12 (RP 06/17/12)
- Veggies Eat Smart Vegetables On Sale $1.66 at Publix or stockpiled canned or frozen veggies
CHRISTMAS MADE EASY!
Download your FREE Ultimate Christmas Checklist now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.