FREE 5 Ingredients or Less
Menus Sneak Peek!
As I've shared over the last year, we've had some big adjustments in our family after moving to Ohio. This week as my kiddos seemed to be having a few extra rough few days, I scurried to my computer, because I've learned everything I know (really) from Google.
I typed in . . .
How to make it easier for kids to move.
How to make it easier for teenagers to move.
How to make it easier to move.
How to make moving less stressful.
How to handle moving.
(Does anyone else have days where they type just plain old silly stuff into Google in hopes of a brilliant answer?)
Well, while I did read a few good suggestions, I didn't come up with anything amazing. So I started thinking.
I decided that we as a family needed to really think about things that we've enjoyed here in Ohio, so I wrote on our big chalkboard (from TJMaxx of course), “Things we LOVE about Ohio . . .”
(the deer outside our window this week – we love seeing them here!)
Now, because I've hung out with my kids for a day or two, I knew two out of the three of them wouldn't all that happily start coming up with their list. (One of them is on a mission to dollop on a little extra guilt every chance they get – ugh.) So, being the smart momma I am, I told them that for every item they came up with they'd get a quarter. To sweeten the deal, I decided that sometime this week we'd head out for ice cream and they could use all of their quarters to buy the biggest ice cream they could afford, up to $5.
(Because they know me pretty well too, they knew this was a big deal as they're usually limited to the $1-$2 ice cream cones, so a big $5 ice cream sundae is a pretty big treat at our house.)
Two of my three kids immediately got started, and slowly came up with a few fun things about the Buckeye State. But one resisted, until about an hour before our ice cream trip was set.
Sure enough, within a few minutes all three became highly motivated, and here's just a few of the items they came up with. (Please don't be horrified by their handwriting – they were on top of each other trying to write quickly because ice cream was coming soon!) 😉
Things we love about Ohio:
- Jackson having to mow the yard (that one came from his sister.)
- Winning schools 😉
- Taking pictures outside
- Summer Camp
- Skiing (closer than it was here in Alabama – they're excited about that!)
- Big yard
- My room
- Handels Ice Cream
- Graeters Ice Cream (do you see a theme here?)
- Big city
- Mr. **** (a teacher – not sure if he'd want his name up here!)
- Grass (We don't miss our Alabama Bermuda grass at all – greener grass year round is so nice!)
- Ski club
- Walking through new houses (we're in a new neighborhood and love sneaking to see what the new homes look like)
- Sweaters & boots
- Ellie, Kate, Ava & Anelise. (So thankful for neighborhood girls for my kids to play with – would be nice to find some good teenagers for my son to hang out with too but I'm holding out hope for that!)
- Big Ten
- Ohio State (I was surprised by that one? I think our youngest is revolting against my husband's alma mater University of Illinois.)
- Study hall
- Watching Illinois play Ohio State in a few weeks (We have tickets – yay!)
- Our fireplace
- Cooler summer
- Pretty trees
- Love Laurie being here with me. (That was from my husband. He loves me.) 😉
I don't know where you're at today, but maybe you need a “things I love” list too. Maybe your list would be . . .
Things I love about my home. . .
Things I love about my job. . .
Things I love about my (tiny-sleepless-colicky) baby. . . (Can you tell I've been there?) 😉
Things I love about my family . . .
For me (and maybe my family?) having a big old list of things they're enjoying ~ even if they were bribed into it ~ just makes me feel like maybe we'll get through this not-so-easy season too. If you're in a season when things aren't just the way you planned – whether there's an illness, a financial struggle, or anything else that's just more difficult than you expected, maybe drawing up a thankful list will help ease a tough day a bit. (And you should definitely end it with ice cream – because that just makes life a little brighter.) 😉
5 INGREDIENTS MENU PLAN SAMPLE
Download your FREE recipes now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.