As my son headed out the door on his way to school earlier this week, he said “Mom, can we please have Macaroni & Cheese for dinner tonight?” Well, normally I don't consider Mac & Cheese an entree, but I had everything we needed, and had been dying to try out some Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese in Mrs. Potts (I really didn't think it would work . . . .) Oh my goodness: it. was. perfect.
I'd seen several recipes for macaroni & cheese in the crockpot and read reviews saying they usually came out mushy, but this one was just right! I skipped a few steps in the original recipe to make life easier, so it should take you ten minutes or less to get this recipe thrown together. All I added were some biscuits, green beans, salads and applesauce, which made for one yummy frugal feast at our house. If you've got some macaroni-and-cheese loving kids at your house I'm betting they'll enjoy this one too!
I was thinking that if your family makes macaroni and cheese for Thanksgiving, this would be perfect it as it can cook in the slow cooker while your oven and stovetop are overloaded. Woot! 🙂
Slow Cooker Mac & Cheese
adapted from Food.com
- 1 box uncooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups) Ronzoni Pasta, 9 to 16 oz pkg – $0.80 at Publix
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese Sargento Shredded Cheese $3 at Publix, use $1.50/2 Sargento Shredded Cheese (Publix Printable) or found in store stacked with
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup Store brand is probably the cheapest ~ I just realized the original recipe called for a can of condensed cheddar cheese soup, but we used cream of chicken and it was delicious! 🙂
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup whole milk (we only had 1% but it worked fine)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Boil macaroni for six minutes and drain.
- Meanwhile, spray slow cooker with cooking spray and soften butter for a few seconds in the microwave to make everything easier to combine.
- Once pasta is cooked, combine all ingredients in slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook on low for between 2 and 2 1/2 hours, stirring about every thirty minutes.
2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK!
Download your FREE 2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.