This recipe for Raisin Bran Muffins just might be my favorite muffin recipe ever, not because they’re the absolute yummiest ever (they’re pretty good, but will never quite compete with these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins!) but because they’re so simple to make, fairly good-for-you, and the batter lasts in the refrigerator for 6 weeks. My mother-in-law gave me the recipe, and I always pull in out in January to mix up a batch or two to easily have on hand on cold winter mornings. My husband also loves them as a treat at night, and I feel like a 1950′s happy housewife everytime I make them!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Raisin Bran Muffins
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg I never use this because I can’t find it in my pantry!
- 1 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 qt. buttermilk if you don’t want to purchase buttermilk, just use 4 cups milk and add 4 teaspoons vinegar and let sit 10 minutes to sour milk
- 1 15 oz. package Raisin Bran
- Sift dry ingredients.
- Add oil, eggs and buttermilk to dry ingredients (don’t mix too long – just until dry stuff gets wet).
- Add raisin bran.
- Mix in large bowl; fill muffin cups 1/2 – 2/3 full.
- Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes (closer to 15). Batter will be thick.
- Keeps in refrigerator for up to six weeks. Enjoy!
To help keep life simple, keep them in the fridge with directions nearby for those frosty mornings. So easy, and so nice to have a warmed up treated always ready to go during this time of year.
Do you have a muffin recipe that you just love? I'd love to hear about it . . . we're always looking for new ones to try around here!
Looking for more muffin recipes to try? Here are a few more favorites:
- Blueberry Scone Muffins
- Banana Apple Raisin Bran Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Apple Dumplin' Muffins
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.