We survived a few more days of our No Spend Challenge this week! While we've had a few small splurges we've (mostly) stuck to it, and it's been really good just to really see where our cash goes each week.
I made a trip to Fresh Thyme Market and just couldn't pass up their ground beef price. We still have plenty in the freezer (we don't eat all that much ground beef), but at $2.99/lb for grass fed ground beef I just couldn't pass it by! Since we've stayed under the budget for the most part, I decided this might just get us through summertime hamburger grilling. 🙂
Here's what I bought:
- 2.35lbs grass fed ground beef at $2.99/lb = $7.04
- 2.80 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast at $1.77/lb = $4.95 (we didn't need chicken anyways, but we are getting low on that and $1.77/lb is such a good price!)
- 3 lbs onions $.99 (turns out we have plenty of onions in our fridge ~ will chop those up this weekend to freeze)
- 1 lb carrots $.99
- $.60 lbs cluster tomatoes at $.88/lb = $.49
- 3 lb bag golden delicious apples $2.99
- green leef lettuce $.88
- iceberg lettuce $.99
- navel oranges 5/$1
- organic 5 lbs potatoes $2.50
- 2.76 lb bananas $1.52
- Total = $24.34
My husband also picked up two more gallons of milk at Kroger this week, so our total was $6 for milk. I'm really debating heading to Kroger for some of their crazy good deals, but we only need cereal so we'll see!
And, for our big splurge 🙂 my husband and I met for lunch yesterday at Cucinova, and we completely should have split a pizza (they're not a big pizza but would have been big enough to split) but were both starving so our eyes looked bigger than our stomachs. We both ended up eating exactly half and our kids ate the leftovers last night. We spent $16 on our lunch which wasn't impressive at all but it's been weeks since we've had time for lunch together so I'm good with that! Next time we'll remember though that splitting one is more than enough for us. You win some, you lose some. 🙂
So here's our totals since we started this month. Typing it out now I'm not all that happy with our splurges – but am being honest in how things have gone for us! We're still definitely lower than we would normally be, so I'll take that as a success?
- Day 1, 2 & 3 = $5.17
- Day 4 & 5 = $15
- Day 6, 7, 8, and 9 = $67.89 (this included several meals out while I was out of town – we knew we would go over for those few days)
- Days 10, 11 & 12 = $48.34 (including $30.34 in groceries)
- Total = $136.40 for all groceries and several meals out
Are you joining us in our no spend challenge? Check out these posts to learn more if you're interested, and I'd love to hear how you're doing too!
- No Spend Grocery Challenge Menu Plan
- No Spend Grocery Challenge Day 1 & 2: Spent $5.17
- No Spend Grocery Challenge Day 3: $0 Spent
- No Spend Grocery Challenge Day 4&5: Spent $15
- No Spend Grocery Challenge Days 6, 7, 8, and 9
- Consider Your Time Cost
STUDENT ACADEMIC PLANNER!
Download your FREE sample now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.