This Honey Bun Cake is so super simple to make, and we love the tradition of baking a Happy Birthday Jesus cake on Christmas morning in our home.
Honey Bun Cake (or Happy Birthday Jesus Cake)
Of all the recipes included in the 12 Days of Christmas Baking Cookbook, I think this is my favorite!
My friend Tiffany made this cake for our family soon after we had our third baby, and I remember eating nothing but Honey Bun Cake for two days straight! This is undoubtedly the yummiest, moistest, make-me-the-happiest breakfast cake ever, and now we make it for our Happy Birthday Jesus Cake on Christmas morning. (That was Tiffany’s idea too!)
I bake it early Christmas Eve so it's done and marked off my to-do list, and you can imagine how yummy my kitchen smells the rest of the day (heavenly!) Let me know if you try it out. . . I love hearing which recipes you guys like, and I'm almost positive this one will become a favorite in your home too!
Download your free 12 Days of Christmas Baking Grocery List and Cookbook over HERE. I'm amazed at how much easier it is to get ready for Christmas with a plan in place, and having this list has just made Christmas easier at our house this year!
Cake Batter Ingredients:
- 1 yellow cake mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 5-6 tbsp. milk
- 3 tsp. vanilla
- Mix the cake mix, sour cream, eggs, sugar & oil.
- In separate bowl stir together the brown sugar & cinnamon.
- Pour 1/2 of the cake mixture into 9×13 pan. Then add the brown sugar cinnamon mixture. . . (that's my Jackson sprinkling the sugar mixture, he couldn't stay out of the kitchen once he smelled the cinnamon!)
- Pour remaining cake batter on top. Bake at 275 for 50 -60 minutes. (And just wait for your house to start smelling divine!)
- While cake is baking, mix the icing ingredients all up together . . .
- …and pour over cake after it’s cooled slightly. YUMMMMMMM!
Looking for more ideas? Here you go:
- 12 Days of Christmas Baking Day 1: Hello Dolly Bars
- 12 Days of Christmas Baking Day 2: Muddy Buddy Chex Mix
- 12 Days of Christmas Baking Day 3: Slow Cooker Christmas Candy
- 12 Days of Christmas Baking Day 4: Perfect Peanut Butter Fudge
- 12 Days of Christmas Baking Day 5: Homemade Cinnabons
- 12 Days of Christmas Baking Day 6: Christmas Crack
- 12 Days of Christmas Baking Day 7: No Bake Reese’s Peanut Butter Bars
- 12 Days Christmas Baking Day 8: Peppermint Fudge
- 12 Days of Christmas Baking Day 9: Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER
- 12 Days of Christmas Baking Day 10: Easiest Fudge EVER
Looking for more penny pinched dessert ideas? Here you go.
FREEZER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample of the freezer menus!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.