FREE HOME PLANNING
If you've run into some less than fresh clothes, read on to find out How To Get Mildew Smell Out of Clothes using just 2 ingredients!
How To Get Mildew Smell Out of Clothes – Quick and Easy!
A few years ago, my husband asked for bath towels for Christmas.
What man in his right mind ever asks for bath towels as a Christmas gift?
Ummmmm . . . the one who has a house full of stinky-slightly-mildew-smelling towels.
Because I'm a recovering leave-it-in-the-washer-way-too-long-before-swapping-to-the-dryer-user, a few of our towels (ahem, all of our towels?) had gotten taken over by a slightly stinky mildew smell. Add in a new HE washer (which I love, but doesn't use as much water so those things get stinky faster), and it was just bad.
But, many of our towels were in decent shape, and the thought of just throwing them out nearly killed me, so I did some research and found this way to get rid of stinky mildew smells, and it worked. PLUS, I was so glad to find a way how to get mildew smell out of clothes without using bleach!
Here's How To Get Mildew Smell Out of Clothes:
- Add your towels to your washing machine along with 1 cup of vinegar in the detergent dispenser. (I actually used 1 1/2 cups because my washer's huge ~ if you have a large capacity machine I'd recommend using 1 1/2 cups as well.)
- I Did NOT use any laundry detergent, just washed on hot for one cycle.
- Then, I added 1/2 cup baking soda to the load and washed again on hot cycle.
- Dried as usual
Even the stinky dish towels we have (which are the worst) came out smelling fresh and clean ~ I was shocked.
I've heard before that certain dish soaps tend to make dish towels smell stinkier faster (I've even read that my favorite Dawn could be the culprit?) and am trying to find a better alternative, but in the mean time this helps.
I'd love to hear your tips on getting rid of stinky mildew smells if you've struggled with this one too ~ I definitely think moving things over from the washer quickly to the dryer helps, but I'm up for any extra suggestions too (so my poor husband can get better gifts for Christmas!) 🙂
Looking for more penny pinched cleaning ideas? Here are my favorites:
- Homemade Soap Scum Remover
- Homemade Window Cleaner
- How to Clean a Dry Erase Board
- Homemade Heating Pad
- Clean Stainless Steel with Lemon Juice
- 2 Ingredient Homemade Carpet Cleaner
FREE HOME PLANNING CHECKLISTS!
Download your FREE checklists now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.