Chocolate Meringue Pie
Note from Laurie: my cute Reagan is twelve this summer, and she's OBSESSED with baking. She just made her very first chocolate meringue pie (and it truly was the best ever, so I figured you'd appreciate the recipe!)
I shared with her that her grandmother always told me that her neighbor Suzie Thomas made the very best meringue pie, and know this pie would have made Reagan's grandma proud. Let me know if you'd love to see another recipe or two from Reagan (and you can follow her letter board account over on Instagram too ~ she's just starting out but everyone has to start somewhere!) 🙂
This is Reagan and I'm writing a post about a Chocolate Meringue Pie recipe that my whole family loved. This recipe was on the harder side, but it was totally worth all the time it took.
I found the pie recipe at Allrecipes.com, and the best graham cracker crust recipe we could find was on the back of the Kroger graham cracker container box (scroll down for that.)
- 9 inch baked pie crust (scroll down for the recipe we used)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons white sugar
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
Directions For Chocolate Filling
- Mix together sugar, cocoa, corn starch, and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Next, slowly add in the milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir the filling over medium high heat until thick and
- Turn the heat to medium low and stir continuously for two more minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Add one cup of the hot filling to your bowl of 3 beaten egg yolks. After the egg yolks and the filling are mixed well, add them back into the saucepan with the rest of the hot filling and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cook and stir on medium low for another two minutes.
- Add in the vanilla, then pour the filling into a baked pie crust
Directions for Meringue
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add in the sugar, continuing to beat the egg whites until they are stiff and glossy.
- Spread over the hot filling, sealing the meringue into the pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the meringue is lightly golden.
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
Mix together melted butter, sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Spread into pie plate and chill in refrigerator for one hour before baking. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes and cool before filling.
Looking for more yummy pie recipes? Here you go! (Um, clearly we love a little pie at our house!)
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.