Interested in the Shopkick app but not sure if it's worth your time? Here's our honest review…and how you can earn completely FREE $5 just for walking into any store!
Shopkick App Review… We Tried It For You!
I'm always up to try new apps that help save or earn money while grocery shopping. While Shopkick has actually been around for some time, I had never really gotten around to trying it..until recently!
What is Shopkick?
Shopkick is a free app that lets you earn reward points (called “kicks”) for shopping activities, such as walking into stores, scanning products, making in-app or in-store purchases, and submitting receipts.
Plus, right now you can get a FREE $5 Bonus (1,250 kicks) just by earning 10 kicks within the first 7 days of signing up (you just need to walk into any store and you'll earn those 10 points)!
Here's what you'll need to do to snag your bonus points –
- Go HERE and download the free Shopkick app. (That's right – walk into Target and you just made $5!) 🎯
- Use invite code PENNYPINCH, which will earn you a $5 bonus for walking into a store within the first 7 days of downloading the app and earning 10 kicks.
- Head to the store and you'll earn 10 points (or “kicks”) for walking in, and additional points for scanning certain items or uploading pictures of your receipt.
- Once you have at least 500 kicks, you can redeem them for gift cards to stores like Amazon, Walmart, Starbucks, Best Buy, Target, Ulta, Kohl's, Old Navy, etc.)
How to earn Kicks:
Walk-ins: Enable location services and Bluetooth for Shopkick through your device's settings. Look for the Walk-In icon at stores in “Kicks Nearby” on the Earn tab. Open Shopkick at the store entrance to earn kicks.
Scanning products in store: In Shopkick, find stores and products with scan kicks – look for the barcode icon. At the store, tap on “scan products” to use the barcode scanner. Scan barcodes and get kicks.
Submitting your receipt: If you purchase an item, don't forget to submit your receipt for even more points! (This recent Grove Co. Target deal made for better than FREE products…which is awesome!)
Purchasing products: Link your credit or debit card (it's free & secure!), buy with your linked card, and earn kicks every time you make a purchase with that card!
Inviting friends: You'll both earn 250 kicks when your friend accepts your invite and completes a walk-in, scan, or earns 10 kicks within 7 days of joining!
This is Reagan – she's the baby of my bunch!
My daughter Reagan and I tried out the Shopkick app a few weeks ago (she's 14 and looking for ways to make a little extra moo-lah!), and we were able to earn $25 in gift cards (that you can use at Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc) without too much effort! We went into the stores, and right off the bat got $5 just for walking in.
We scanned several items, and then bought a few things at Walmart that included Shopkick credits. Once in the car, I uploaded my receipt and we got our “kicks” back in just a couple days.
If you're not willing to purchase specific Shopkick items, you'll earn more slowly – but you'll definitely still earn that first $5 doing practically nothing! Um….AWESOME! Just make sure to use promo code PENNYPINCH when signing up to get your free $5 for a store walk-in (be sure to do it within 7 days, too!). 🙂
My friend Jamie tried it recently too – here's what she had to say:
Getting kicks just for walking into Target! Woohoo!
Jamie here! First of all, I was SUPER SKEPTICAL about Shopkick. It seemed like one of those complicated apps that was going to waste my time, without any real payout. But let me tell you… after using it for just one week, I cashed in for a $10 Starbucks Gift Card, so I have changed my tune!
Here's how I earned my $10 in one week of barely trying….
- Monday afternoon I downloaded the app and used code PENNYPINCH so I could get the $5 Bonus.
- I pulled into Target and made sure the app was on, so it would register that I was indeed “walking in”
- I walked into Target and made $5! 🙂
- While there I scanned some candy and magazines to earn Kicks and see how the app worked.
- Between Friday and Saturday I went to T.J. Maxx, CVS, Walmart and Publix to do some shopping. I got walk-in bonuses for all those places. Some I got just for walking by the front door!
- I scanned maybe 15 items at Walmart and earned about 300 more kicks.
- One item I purchased, a box of Frosted Flakes, was an item that earns kicks. I scanned my receipt, and I got a bunch of kicks for that. (It only takes 1,250 for a $5 gift card – so I think I'll look out for more of those high-earning items!)
Yesterday I was able to cash in for a $10 Starbucks Gift Card. WOOHOO!
I may not use the app all the time, but any time I'm heading to Target or other stores with my kids, I'll turn it on and have them go scan some things for me while I shop. 😉 I think this is an app that you can either earn quite a bit on if you're highly motivated, or earn passively if you're just a little too busy to fool with it.
And if you don't want to worry about opening the app, you can automatically earn just by linking your debit or credit card to it (it's free & safe), so you'll earn with every purchase you make.
If nothing else – the FREE $5 you get on your first walk-in is enough reason to make me recommend this app to everyone…whether you decide to keep using it or not! 🙂
Interested in trying Shopkick? Go HERE to download it and get your free $5!
CELEBRATION MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample menus today!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.