FREE 5 Ingredients or Less
Menus Sneak Peek!
Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
This is just plain ole' delicious comfort food at its finest. I looked everywhere for a good Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice recipe, and when I couldn't find one I just put together a few ideas from other recipes and tweaked it to this one, and goodness gracious it was delicious!
Now, I will say this is a bit more work than my normal slow cooker recipes (I really like the kind where you just dump it all in), but it was oh-so-good. I think if I try it again I'll skip using the steps at the beginning and leave out the flour and butter to make up a more brothy soup, but if you're looking for something to stick to your ribs this hearty slow cooker chicken and rice soup is for you.
Slow Cooked Chicken & Rice Soup
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 1/2 cup flour
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked wild rice (I used Uncle Ben's 10 minute chicken and wild rice, but wish I'd had more time to make regular rice)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Melt butter on stove top.
- Add in onion, celery and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Slowly stir in flour, making a roux while stirring constantly.
- Slowly add in broth and bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Place chicken in slow cooker
- Add in broth mixture.
- Add cooked rice.
- Add salt, onion powder and garlic powder and give everything in the bowl a quick stir.
- Cook in slow cooker on low 6-7 hours, or on high 3-4 hours.
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
5 INGREDIENTS MENU PLAN SAMPLE
Download your FREE recipes now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.