Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup that is a copycat to Panera! Make this one in the slow cooker and avoid the takeout prices!
Oh my. This Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe at home is divine. Better than Panera. And Mrs. Potts will do most of the work for you.
You're welcome. 😉
My husband and I loved this recipe, my son liked it, and my girls actually ate it.
How to Make Broccoli and Cheese Soup
This truly couldn't be any easier! Taking the time to make the roux is so important in this recipe. Seriously, don't skip this step.
The magic with the butter, onions, garlic and evaporated milk all happen on the stove. If you have a Ninja Foodi you can prep all of those ingredients first and then switch to slow cook when the other ingredients are added! The rest of your ingredients are going to come together in your favorite slow cooker.
The ingredients included are basic staples we always have in the house: chicken broth, frozen broccoli (or you can use fresh if you like), seasonings, cheese and lots of cheese! I will buy cheese and freeze it so I always have it on hand (and usually get it while it's on sale).
The soup will cook in the crockpot between 2-3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. This is one that you could prep before work, and if you have a programmable slow cooker, have it start so it's ready right before you get home. There's nothing better than a hot bowl of soup after a long and cold day!
Is Broccoli Cheese Soup Keto?
This recipe can be easily modified it to make it keto-friendly! In place of the flour, use 3-4 tablespoons of cream cheese. It gives the soup a rich creamy flavor too!
A keto-approved thickener like Arrowroot Powder would be another replacement to use. The arrowroot powder would be a 1:1 replacement for the flour.
What Goes with Broccoli Cheese Soup
I always tend to eat a good salad with dinner, and this Apple Spinach Salad would be a perfect side to enjoy! The warm vanilla bean dressing is yummy!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 12 oz cans evaporated milk
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups broccoli florets I substituted with frozen broccoli which I cooked in the microwave and drained well - to make sure there wasn't too much liquid I reduced the chicken broth by 1/2 cup as frozen veggies are usually packed with water when they cook
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 oz parmesan cheese
- In large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Saute onions until they become transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and flour, as well as a little salt and pepper to flavor.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Using a whisk, slowly add in evaporated milk and stir well to make it smooth.
- Cook mixture until it begins to thicken, then pour into slow cooker with chicken broth, broccoli & thyme.
- Cover and cook 2 1/2 - 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Turn heat off (or warm if you have that option), and add in heavy cream, shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from week seven of our slow cooker menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!) Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
BLACK FRIDAY CHEAT SHEET!
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.