This is a simple stovetop roast for the momma who's never made a stovetop roast in her life (aka, me.) Every roast that I've cooked has been in the slow cooker (with varying levels of success . . . this one and this one are my favorites for the slow cooker. . .) however this simple stovetop roast just might be my favorite roast ever.
It doesn't take much work in the kitchen at all, and the results are fantastic. (Seriously, my little girl just kept asking for more “chicken” over and over . . . apparently she thinks the only thing we serve around here is chicken.) 😉 My husband declared it “almost as good as Bob Evans” and my kids agreed it actually beat Bob Evans, so I'm one pleased mom. And, the best part is we'll turn the leftovers into open face roast sandwiches . . .yummmmmm! Here's the recipe so you can impress your family too.
Also . . . I'm already planning to make this for my in-laws when they come to visit because it's *almost* gluten free ~ except for the flour in the gravy. I'm wondering if corn starch would work in place of the flour to thicken the gravy? If you eat a gluten free diet and have any tips, I'd love for you to share them!
Simple Stovetop Roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (2-3 pound beef sirloin tip roast
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups coffee brewed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- salt to taste
- Heat olive oil in stock pot over medium heat.
- Sear roast on both sides for about two minutes, until slightly browned.
- Remove roast from stove top and place on plate.
- Cook onion and garlic on stovetop for 10-15 minutes, until onions are lightly browned, stirring occasionally so they don't burn.
- Return roast to pan.
- Pour coffee, 1 1/2 cups water, beef bouillon, 1 tablespoon salt and pepper over roast.
- Bring broth to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and cover stock pot.
- Simmer until meat is cooked and falling apart, about 2-3 hours (mine took about 2 hours and 15 minutes, and then I let it continue to cook over very low heat to keep warm.)
- Remove roast from stove top and place in serving tray. Cover to keep warm.
- Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup water until smooth with no lumbs.
- Slowly add flour mixture into broth and whisk until gravy is smooth.
- Season with salt if needed.
- Pour some gravy over the roast and add the rest to a bowl for serving.
Here are the sale items you’ll want to watch for this week to make this meal:
- Bertolli Olive Oil 17 oz BOGO $7.60 at Publix
- Sirloin Tip Roast $3.99/lb at Publix
- Kroger Value Russet Potatoes $2.99/10 lb. bag
THE ULTIMATE PRICE COMPARISON SHEET
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.