FREE WORK PLANNER
If you're trying to learn how to save money at Publix, here are 14 secrets to know before you shop. Take advantage of these and save huge!
14 Tips on How to Save Money At Publix
Love shopping Publix?
But, did you know that Publix shopping really isn't as expensive as it seems?
Yup. You can save big at Publix if you just know how.
So, here are a few secrets that will help you save big every time you shop.
If you want to see the free mini coupon class check it out here
1. Publix accepts certain competitor coupons.
Depending on your area, Publix will accept some competitor coupons. Each store chooses which locals stores are store is considered a competitor, so this varies (a lot!) by area.
Typically Publix requires that the stores considered competitors are “traditional grocery stores”, meaning they have a meat and deli department. Some stores accept Target, Kroger, Winn Dixie, Whole Foods, Walmart, Food City and more.
2. To get the most bang for your buck, use your “big” coupons first.
When shopping Publix, if you happen to have lucked into a coupon like a $10/$50 coupon (sometimes they have special store coupons like this, and occasionally you'll find a competitor like this one as well), be sure to stack that one ON TOP of your other coupons.
That way, Publix will take that $10 off first before other coupons if they drop your total to below $50, which can make your savings even greater.
3. Publix issues rainchecks when they are out of stock on products. Publix will give you a digital raincheck that you can use up to 3 months from the time they issue it.
4. Always be on the look out for Publix store coupons.
In addition to these store fliers AND the weekly store ad, Publix also regularly comes out with store coupons found at the front of the store in a kiosk with other fliers, as well as throughout the store. Keep your eyes peeled for new coupon booklets as they pop up fairly regularly and can really help you save at Publix!
5. Publix allows one manufacturer and one store/competitor store coupon per item.
If you have a manufacturer coupon for an item, you can “stack” a store coupon will have a LU number (OR a competitor coupon, but not both) to get a greater savings on that same item.
If this seems a bit overwhelming, you can check out our Publix Mini Coupon Class over HERE!
6. Publix’s computers allow one coupon per item.
Most Publix stores will allow you to use as many coupons as you want. However, if the number of coupons exceeds the number of items purchased (for example if you have 20 items and 22 coupons because you have a few competitor coupons), the computer will automatically question it.
Typically your cashier will send for a manager and they will override it, however they have the option not to, so just be aware of this.
7. Publix offers a bajillion Publix BOGO (Buy One Get One Free) sales each week (these are the savings you really want to focus on each week.)
I love this. If you're a Publix shopper, watch for their weekly Buy One Get One Free sales to get the very best savings.
Unless you're in Florida, you don't have to buy two to get the second one free.
So, if Cheerios are on sale Buy One Get One Free and you only want 1 box, you'll get them each for half price.
If you're in Florida, you'll get what folks call “TRUE BOGO” meaning you really have to buy one to get a second one free. While some folks don't like this, you'll get two items free if you luck into a Buy One Get One Free coupon for a Buy One Get One Free item at Publix. Because of the coupon, both items will actually be free!
8. Publix offers digital coupons.
In addition to their store coupons, you can check out Publix digital coupons online each week. Go HERE to sign up for Publix digital coupons, and remember these are manufacturer coupons that cannot be stacked with other manufacturer coupons. (However, you can stack them with store coupons.)
How to use Publix Digital Coupons:
- Go HERE to see all the current Publix Digital coupons available
- Sort by category or use the search bar in the top left corner to search for a brand or product
- Click on the “clip coupon” button. You'll then either be prompted to login or create an account
- If you are already logged in, it will save the coupon to your account
- Once you're ready to checkout at the grocery store, just enter in your phone number connected to your account and save!
9. Save even more at Publix by taking advantage of mobile rebate apps.
There are several rebate apps that you can use at Publix to save even more when you shop, and what I love is that you can “double dip” on savings by purchasing one item and getting a rebate back through several rebate sites (if the offer is available at more than one store.) Here are the rebate sites I use when shopping Publix:
10. The super sweet baggers at Publix bag your groceries and takes them to the car for you – no tipping accepted.
I love that.
11. Publix partners with schools.
If you shop Publix, be sure to pick up a key chain card that they scan at checkout for a local school (you can choose which school to donate to.) For every $37,500 spent in groceries, Publix gives your schools $250. That money really adds up, and you can even see a few totals over HERE (I love this program!)
12. Publix has lots of clearance items around the store. There are sometimes sections in the store for clearance items. Ask the customer service if your store ahs one.
13. The Publix bakery will give your child a cookie every time they stop and ask for one
And, many Publix floral departments will give your child a free balloon to take home as well. (Our Publix offered coloring books to kids too!)
14. Publix store brand generics are well worth trying.
If you're willing to try Publix store brands, you'll easily save throughout the store. Our family has tried out Publix cleaning supplies, snacks, toiletries and more and always been pleased with them.