Have you been looking for the best way to care for your hair as you get older? Over the last few years I've been working on taking care of my getting-older-way-too-fast hair (in case you're curious, I'm 45, and definitely can see a change in my hair over the last few years. Whew!)
Forever my normal hair routine was shampoo and condition daily with the cheapest stuff I could find (hell-ooooo VO5 for 79¢ at Walmart!), and then blow dry. My hair has always been naturally stick straight, and was always super oily until a few years ago so that worked just fine.
However, as I got older I wanted to take better care of my hair – then a friend of mine recommended using Olaplex Hair Perfector (No 3), along with Shampoo (No 4), and Conditioner (No 5) (and washing much less frequently)…and now I'm hooked.
The best part is right now, you can score a crazy good deal on a SUPER SIZE bundle at QVC.com! This two-part at-home system includes TWO No. 0 Intensive Bond Hair Treatments and a super-size No. 3 Hair Perfector to help prime your hair for styling. Even better, you can get an extra $10 off $25 with code SURPRISE (1st time orders) or $10 OFF $25 with code HELLO10 at checkout (2nd time orders).
Olaplex SUPER SIZE No. 3 and No. 0 Bundle – $79.96 (Reg. $113)
- Use the code SURPRISE or HELLO10 at checkout for $15 off
- Shipping is $3.50
- Makes it as low as $73.46 shipped – just $24.49 per bottle!
*This is a STEAL as you're getting an 8.5oz size bottle of the No. 3 (the 3.3oz size sells for $28 at Ulta!) and TWO 5.2oz bottles of the No. 0 bottles! You'd spend over $115 at Ulta to get the same amount of product – making this an awesome value!
I loooove this stuff – it makes my hair feel so soft and silky and less brittle – but it's also kinda pricey… the only good thing is you don't use a ton of it!
Here's my current hair routine:
1. Wash and condition 2 days each week with Olaplex Shampoo and Conditioner.
Tip: you only need a quarter size amount of Olapex so a tiny bit goes a LONG way. Don't use too much and it will last you for a few months!)
2. Blow dry on LOW HEAT using my Revlon styling brush.
3. Flat iron to keep any frizz at least a little settled using my L'ange Wand.
4. On days I don't wash, I'll often pull my hair back now, or flat iron a few waves in.
5. Once every few weeks I also use the Olaplex #3 Hair Perfector and let it sit for about 10 minutes before washing and conditioning.
While I hate paying so much for shampoo, I do want to look as good as I can given what I've got to work with. 🙂
Especially since I'm on video regularly (and am soooo self-conscious about the way I look!), this helps my hair feel like it's in the best shape it can be, and works for me! If you don't want to spend a ton for great hair, try to change the number of times you're washing, and use as small an amount as possible of quality products to get the best results.
A few things specific to my hair type:
- I have very fine, straight hair. It's gotten a little thicker over the last few years which is so weird to me, but I'll take it!
- My hair has always been very, very oily ~ so until a few years ago I truly couldn't go without washing daily. I've heard people say that your hair will adjust to fewer washings if you wash less frequently, but until I got older mine truly didn't ever adjust to fewer washings. If I didn't wash daily my hair quickly looked a few shades darker just from the oil buildup. (It was so bad that by nighttime some days my hair would be almost brown just because it would get so greasy ~ it's crazy to me! It's definitely been weird to me to have dryer hair now as I've gotten older, but I sure don't miss the constant washing and drying.)
- My natural color is a darker-medium blonde, and I have highlights done about once every six months (I have a lot of white coming in, so the highlights right now help to hide that by matching up with this creeping-in-white!)
If you have any tips for keeping damaged or aging hair soft and healthy I'd love to hear your tips too!
STUDENT ACADEMIC PLANNER!
Download your FREE sample now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.