You are going to LOVE this Kung Pao Beef recipe. It's fast and easy to make. It's also healthy and quicker than getting take out. Give it a try tonight!
Kung Pao Beef Recipe
Go ahead and add this Kung Pao Beef recipe to your list of favorite meals. Once you try it you're going to definitely want it again!
It's perfect for when you get a craving for Chinese food. It's also a one dish meal and takes only 30 minutes from start to finish. Not to mention the fact that you can make this a low calorie meal – love that!
🍴 Menu Planning Note: You can also find this recipe in Week 3 of the Low Calorie Menu Plan!
What is Kung Pao Beef?
Kung Pao Beef is a traditional Chinese dish. It typically will combine sliced steak, a delicious sauce, and crunchy vegetables. You might have also had Kung Pao Chicken with a similar sauce. The beef version actually originated from the chicken recipe.
- lean ground beef
- canola oil
- green beans
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- water chestnuts
- rice (we're using cauliflower rice to lighten things up)
How do you make Kung Pao Beef?
To make this version on Kung Pao Beef, start by sautéing ginger and garlic in canola oil in a large skillet. You'll then add in your ground beef (or whatever meat you're using), and cook until it is nearly done.
Add in your green beans and continue to stir fry until the beans are tender. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine your soy sauce, sesame oil, a bit of water and cornstarch until well blended. This will be your delicious kung pao sauce.
Next, stir the sauce and water chestnuts into the skillet with the beef and toss together. Serve over white rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice and enjoy!
Tips for this recipe:
Our recipe is a definite a western take of the original Szechuan version.
Traditionally, Kung Pao Beef uses a sliced beef but we are simplifying this recipe by using lean ground beef.
Here is our favorite way to make this kung pao beef recipe!
Kung Pao Beef
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsps canola oil
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tbsps low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 8 oz can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 12 oz pkgs frozen cauliflower rice
- In a large skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Sauté ginger and garlic for 2 minutes. Add beef and cook 4 minutes. Add green beans and sauté until beef is browned and crumbly and beans are tender.
- In a small bowl, stir together soy sauce, sesame oil, water and cornstarch. Pour sauce and water chestnuts into skillet stirring to coat beef. Cook 1-2 minutes gently stirring until thickened.
- Prepare cauliflower rice according to package directions. Serve beef over cauliflower rice.
Looking for more delicious and easy meals like this Kung Pao Beef?
This recipe is from week three of our low calorie menu plans. You'll get this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! With most recipes being well under 500 calories and 15 net carbs.
You'll also get access to our Facebook group with the purchase of one of our menu sets. The groups are full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet. You'll get weekly grocery lists, the menu plan and recipe cards sent right to you ~ no hunting down recipes!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, here are a TON of Family Friendly Meals!
SUMMER SURVIVAL KIT SAMPLE
Download your FREE recipes now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.