Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
My neighbor Sarah shared this recipe with me years ago for Cake Mix Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake, and I'd forgotten just how yummy it was until I made it again over the weekend!
My girls helped me mix up two of the cakes for the baby shower we hosted, and it was just perfect. One of the guys couldn't believe I actually made it myself, and my kids have been fighting over every last morsel.
Sweet success 🙂
I'm telling you what, I know you should be out making all kind of Memorial Day recipes this weekend, but this is a no-brainer-gonna-be-perfect-I-promise-your-family-will-love-it cake to make too. Here you go . . .
Sarah's Cake Mix Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake
- 18.25 oz package devil's food cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 5.9 oz package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 cups chocolate chips (plus 1/4 cup extra to sprinkle on top at the end)
Ingredients for the glaze
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
- Mix together first 6 ingredients.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean (cake will be moist though.)
- Let cool in pan for at least one hour before turning out on plate.
- Once completely cooled, drizzle with glaze, and sprinkle with additional chocolate chips.
Directions for the glaze
- Melt butter & chocolate.
- Add sugar, vanilla and water.
- If needed add more water to thin frosting. (Whisk the frosting if there are any lumps).
- Drizzle over cake and sprinkle on extra chocolate chips if you'd like. Enjoy!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
FREEZER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample of the freezer menus!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.