This Broccoli Cheese Casserole is THE perfect side dish for any occasion! This casserole uses Velveeta for a creamy flavor. SO GOOD!
Broccoli Cheese Casserole Recipe – The Perfect Side Dish!
Are you looking for a delicious side dish to bring to a gathering for Memorial Day? This is one of our family's favorite recipes (seriously, best ever) for a casserole, and I know you'll love it too.
My stepmom has made this for years, and it's seriously the one recipe that all the grandkids come in fighting for. You can use fresh or frozen broccoli as long as it's lightly steamed ahead of time, and I promise your bunch will gobble down every last bite of their broccoli.
🍴TIP: This casserole is from the Easter menu plan from our Celebration Series Menu Planning Made Easy set!
- Frozen Broccoli Florets
- Margarine or Butter
- Ritz Crackers (for that yummy crunchy topping!)
How To Make Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
First, cook the bags of broccoli in the microwave. You can definitely use fresh broccoli as well, but I love that the frozen makes it so easy!
(Tip: if using fresh broccoli, just steam in microwave prior to cooking with a little water. IT WILL STINK because fresh broccoli tends to do that when cooking, but it honestly might taste even a little better than frozen if you don't mind the smell!)
While your broccoli is cooking, preheat oven to 350 degrees and melt your Velveeta and 3/4 stick of margarine or butter on your stove top over low to medium heat (this will depend on your stove – just be sure not to burn the cheese sauce!).
Next, thoroughly drain the broccoli and make sure that any excess water is drained. If you don't, you might end up with a runny cheese sauce.
Then, stir together your broccoli and Velveeta mixture, and place into an 8×11 casserole dish.
After the mixture is in the casserole dish, we will make the cracker topping.
Melt the remaining 1/4 stick of margarine or butter. Crush your Ritz crackers and then mix with the melted butter or margarine. Then, top the Broccoli cheese mixture with the buttery cracker crumbs.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until cooked through and crackers begin to brown. Feel free to season to taste with salt and pepper and garlic powder.
Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 2 Bags Frozen Broccoli
- 16 oz Velveeta
- 3/4 Stick Margarine or Butter
- 1 Sleeve Nabisco Ritz Crackers
- 1/4 Stick Margarine or Butter
- Cook broccoli in microwave.
- Meanwhile, Melt Velveeta and 3/4 stick margarine or butter on stove top over low heat.
- Thoroughly drain broccoli. (Press out as much excess water as possible so your cheese sauce does not get runny)
- Stir together broccoli and velveeta mixture, and then place in 8x11 casserole dish.
- Melt remaining 1/4 stick of margarine. Crush Ritz crackers and mix with the margarine, then top Broccoli cheese mixture with crackers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until cooked through and crackers begin to brown.
This broccoli cheese casserole goes great with any type of meat and reheats beautifully!
Bonus tip? This broccoli cheese casserole recipe in our Celebration Menu Plans too!
CELEBRATION MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample menus today!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.