Breakfast Burritos – Freezer friendly to take on the go!
I am obsessed with this breakfast burritos freezer recipe. Our family eats them for breakfast, as a quick and easy lunch, and even a simple dinner when we're too busy to cook up a full meal. I started making them a few years ago, and now any time they run out I quickly whip up another batch.
They're super versatile, freeze beautifully, and you can switch out the ingredients to make them work for you. To lighten them up a bit try swapping out traditional tortillas for low carb tortillas, scrambling a few extra egg whites in places of eggs, or use diced turkey sausage, bacon or even Canadian bacon in your filling. (I've replaced the cheddar with mozzarella cheese too in a pinch. Use what you have on hand and let this recipe work for you!)
🍴Menu Tip: These Breakfast Burritos are from week 5 of our Menu Planning Made Easy Freezer Meals. You can grab this awesome menu plan right now ~ this is one of my favorite make ahead recipes of all time!
You truly can't mess up this recipe, and having them prepped ahead will give you no excuse to run through the drive-thru on a busy week day. This might just be my favorite of all our freezer meals (well, behind the baked oatmeal of course!) and are such a great time saving recipe to feed one person or a bunch of folks.
Ingredients for burritos:
- breakfast sausage
- shredded cheddar cheese
- hot sauce (optional)
- taco size flour tortillas
How to make a breakfast burrito:
Grab a large greased skillet and scramble your eggs until they are cooked but a bit glossy. Add salsa to the already cooked sausage. Then, warm your tortillas in the microwave so they are flexible.
Distribute the scrambled eggs, sausage mixture, and cheese evenly over tortillas. Add a few shakes of hot sauce if you like it spicy!
Roll the burritos by folding the top of the tortilla over the egg mixture, fold in the sides, then roll to the other end.
If you're eating them right away, go ahead and enjoy! Or read on to see how you can freeze these.
How to freeze breakfast burritos:
Breakfast burritos are great to have ready to go in the freezer for a fast breakfast (or even lunch or dinner!) on the go.
To freeze these burritos, line them on a single layer on wax paper and flash freeze them.
Once they are frozen, wrap each burrito in aluminum foil. You can then place burritos in a gallon size zip-top bag. Remember to label and then freeze until you're ready to use them.
To serve the frozen burritos, remove all foil and wrap the burrito in a paper towel. Heat each burrito in the microwave for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes (depending on the microwave power).
- 12 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 lb breakfast sausage browned and drained
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese other cheeses work too
- hot sauce optional
- 8 taco size flour tortillas you could use low carb tortillas as an option here too!
- In a large greased skillet, scramble eggs until cooked but still a little glossy. Add salsa to the cooked sausage.
- Warm tortillas in the microwave for about 15 seconds until warm and flexible.
- Distribute eggs, sausage mixture and cheese evenly over tortillas. Add a couple shakes of hot sauce, if desired. Roll the burritos by folding the top of the tortilla over the egg mixture, fold in the sides, then roll to the other end.
- Flash freeze burritos in a single layer on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- When frozen, wrap each burrito in aluminum foil. Place wrapped burritos in a gallon size zip-top bag. Label and freeze.
- To serve: Remove foil and wrap in a paper towel. Heat each burrito in microwave for about 1 1/2 - 2 minutes (depending on power of microwave).
If you're looking for easy menu planning options and the very best food, take a peek at tons of great menu plans and recipes right over HERE. I'm cheering for you!